Author Topic: WTF is going on???  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
WTF is going on???
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
I'm in the sunny South...you guys are in Pitt. WTF is going on there? What's in the shop being repaired? WTF is going on...??? Just stirring the pot..... 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: WTF is going on???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
It's a blizzard right now on my side of town.
Right now I have a Kenwood Model 9, Yamaha YP-D10, and an Onkyo M508 all at the shop for repairs or upgrades.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
I kept trying to find time to recap my Scott, but I think I may end up taking it to the pros.

Bunni

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »
Snowy, windy, cold, and we're tearing our house apart building shelves a little painting and generally rearranging radios and stuff. 

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
A bunch of friends got together before the superbowl to take part in an annual tradition: brew (2) 5-gallon batches of beer.
This year the selections were an imperial IPA, and a Malt Liquor.

We started at 8am and finished  just before the game started.
We will drink it in May at Charlotte motor speedway.
The only way to indulge in our legendary brew is to join us at the track.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »
This is a good start...come on!!! Let's hear some more guys and gals!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
Hi Kingman! Here's my take.

The new store does not lend itself to easily testing equipment from the pedestal bench: trying to melt amps by hooking up multiple speakers in parallel  or testing the SPL limits of a pait of speakers during geek meetings. The extra space has been consumed by stacks of even more equipment.  The room where the Bob amps are is nice,  and Tom changes it out often (al least the speakers).  [Wish he would rotate some of the other vintage stuff into that room,  like he did at the old store,  but that would be bitchy of me to write here. Oops]  We no longer get visits by other tenants asking to turn the volume down,  that was always fun - ("I am sorry,  I am demonstrating this pice of equipment for this gentleman who is going to buy it... :laugh:).

So I want to offer a constructive solution to make space at the store: GMI.  Yes, geek managed inventory.  Move the excessive hardware to geek members' homes.  We in turn promise to keek the electronics warm and tested in case Tom needs to sell it.

Cheers,

OBG

Bunni

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »
We have excessive amounts of radios we'd like to store at your house OBG, lol, all console units too!  We have huge Acoustats as well, but I don't see them ever leaving the house other than maybe an audition at the shop someday.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »
Great!! Shop talk... What's going on at the geek meetings? What are you guys listening to and on what equipment? Did the pizza suck? Stuff like that. Keep us that can't be involved  informed.  ???