Author Topic: Some Tuner Fun!  (Read 1415 times)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Some Tuner Fun!
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:27 PM »
Hey guys! 

So I have a Motorola MOTOROKR T505, http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=motorokr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=895608190733390135&sa=X&ei=yHg8T9jgHo630AH39Ji9Bw&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAg.  For those who don't know what it is I will sum it up for you.  It connects to your audio device through bluetooth and then broadcasts an FM frequency broadcasting what is being streamed to it through bluetooth.  The intended use for this is to connect the phone to your car and have it be hands free.  I decided to put it upside down right over my tuner so it broadcasts the frequency directly to the tuner and did this in the basement where I had less interference from other stations.   Now I can connect my phone to my receiver play my conversations over the speakers, use skype on my phone like a boss, and most fun, play the music from Pandora and my phone on my receiver.  As long as you are within about 50 feet of the tuner (depending on the bluetooth device's power to put out signal this is how far I could go) the sound is pretty decent.  I am trying to find out how to do it with my computer but having difficulties having the bluetooth on my computer communicate with the MOTOROKR...  If you have something like this try it out.  iPod Docks don't compare!  :P :P :P
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Some Tuner Fun!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »
I have a Motorola Roadster in the car I use mainly for work with the same functionality.  Unless your in the middle of nowhere, trying to stream audio through the bluetooth/fm transmitter in your car, is pretty much useless.  There are so many stations in the Pittsburgh area and interference that it never works correctly.  If yours works for you perfect, but hard wired in the form of a cable or dock is always going to sound 10x better.  I have not tried it in a home application.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Re: Some Tuner Fun!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
Haha, yeah.  I am using mine in a basement on the border of West Virginia and Ohio.  It sounds pretty decent but as you mentioned wired is probably 10x better.  I only did this as something while I was bored.  The only application I have for it is when someone brings their phone and has playlists and wants to play their music. I can now play it on my speakers which makes people who don't care for Salsa, Jazz, Reggaeton, Classical, or some of my random 90s crap a little happier.  :)
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW