Author Topic: A visit to Butch’s Sound & Vision in Natrona Heights  (Read 8386 times)

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
Re: A visit to Butch’s Sound & Vision in Natrona Heights
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
I'm curious were the boosts being used on the cd player? Or power amp?
What's wrong with not running a preamp? lack of coloration? To me it seems the only issue there is poor speaker placement.
I've never been in Butches, so I dont know what kind of guy he is, but a lack of preamp should help, not hinder the sonic qualities of a speaker.

There was volume pot on the CDp presumably attenuating the output signal that was run directly to the amp.

Dan has heard these speakers using the same SeeDee. Granted, it was in a different room, but also with different equipment. He felt they didn’t even sound like the same speaker. We both found the soundstage to be flat, one dimensional, lifeless & everything was focused at the speakers. No separation. Very little center information. Granted, the excess bottom end boom could have been mostly from the room, but there was detail and tonal quality missing at the bottom end, too.

We re-played the test SeeDee at my place as soon as we got back. There is a track with multiple voices that are positioned individually across the stage from left to right. Played on my home system the origin of each individual voice can distinctly pinpointed to an exact location across the soundstage. At the 802D demo, all the voices were lumped together as a group, indistinguishable from each other and focused just a bit to the center of the right speaker. Something like this is more than just speaker placement, IMHO. This is what prompted us to look closer at the electronics.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am in no way bashing Mac gear. It’s nice stuff. I’m just relating what I thought was an interesting experience I had recently.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

We re-played the test SeeDee at my place as soon as we got back. There is a track with multiple voices that are positioned individually across the stage from left to right. Played on my home system the origin of each individual voice can distinctly pinpointed to an exact location across the soundstage. At the 802D demo, all the voices were lumped together as a group, indistinguishable from each other and focused just a bit to the center of the right speaker. Something like this is more than just speaker placement, IMHO. This is what prompted us to look closer at the electronics.

Could the speakers have been wired out of phase?

Offline wkhanna

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
Not at the speakers. We checked.
We did not, however, check the wiring at the amp.
Interesting thought, markshan. ;)

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Not at the speakers. We checked.
We did not, however, check the wiring at the amp.
Interesting thought, markshan. ;)

That was my first thought; that or a MONO switch was thrown....
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline wkhanna

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
Hey, Rabbit!
No, it was not a mono signal.
There was distinct info on each channel L/R.
If the speaker wires were hooked up out of phase, then everything being demoed on this system would be FOBAR.
Yikes!  :o

Offline PewterTa

• FNG !!!
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
I think this was just a question of not knowing how to truly set up one's system to demo things properly for people...

I can for a fact, say that the 802Ds are one of my favorite and most jaw dropping speakers I've heard for the price.  Set up correctly in a half decent room and they just fade away and let the music play.

Needless to say I'm happy I didn't buy anything off of Butch.... lol