Author Topic: I need your help to make VHFP better  (Read 12115 times)

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
Re: I need your help to make VHFP better
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
Sales are down 50 % from two years ago and  25% from last year. Repairs  however, are on the rise............turn around time on repairs has been stellar lately.  Most of the time, before the estimated date with very few exceptions.

An obvious area to focus recouses on.

Floor layout  and rack space are big problem
Repeat

We love vintage audio gear and we are both very dedicated to it.
Obvious as soon as you walk in the door.
Your core compentancy.

It's up to us to keep VHFP viable.
Each one of us should make it a goal to bring a new potential customer to the shop.
It is a grass roots thing.
To build a comunity, we must suport it, nuture it and commit to it.

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »

Each one of us should make it a goal to bring a new potential customer to the shop.
To build a comunity, we must suport it, nuture it and commit to it.

Amen

I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
We also just enacted a new policy. No beer allowed!  Just kidding.

If you bring in junk equipment for salvage, you pay for no parts required to complete a repair.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
Although Tom will not agree with me on this, I say start selling headphones, used, new, vintage, and modern. They should generate a decent profit considering how much real estate they (don't) occupy.

Although you'd have Anders constantly trying to push everyone on to a set of vintage Sennheisers! :P

Bunni

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Anders wouldn't push anything, but he might talk people out of a lot of things!  lol  He loves his headphones :)

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
Any idea why sales are down?  Is it lack of inventory, the wrong inventory, price (it shouldn't be price), location (also shouldn't be)?  Might you be paying more attention to service and getting sidetracked?

Mark at Northern Audio started out selling used gear, ran out of inventory and took on new product lines to have something to sell.  He now does a significant chunk of his business with Spin Clean and on the internet.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Anders

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Nah I won't push anything but I'll take all the Sennheisers I can get ;)  :laugh: ;D :)

Bunni

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Most likely the crappy economy is helping things along.

I think using and promoting repairs has definitely brought more in, but ya gotta keep changing up the game a bit.  Others are advertising, and yeah I know about 0 budget for advertising, but people  find others first for the obvious reason that they are easier to find.

For those not seeing the web site, the shop's hours are not evident.  Lots of people are old school too.  They are not being reached.

Right here at home, we could create some new biz cards, Pass a bunch of them out to the regulars and ask them all to hand them out to places where they do business.  When you go pick up pizza, hand them a card, ask them to pass it on or put it up somewhere.  Hell we could create fliers and pass em around, put them on windshields, etc.  Lots of cheap and no cost ways to get the word around.
Exchange those business cards with your customer's biz cards and refer people to your customers.  I've seen places where a container is placed full of business cards, and I know there;s a couple bulletin boards in the shop that could be placed in a viewable area.

I understand the worry's about a sign, but you can't do business with people who can't find you.  They will go to the competition.  They will not be treated as well.

Bunni

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

To build a community, we must support it, nurture it and commit to it.

Absolutely!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
Any idea why sales are down?  Is it lack of inventory, the wrong inventory, price (it shouldn't be price), location (also shouldn't be)?  Might you be paying more attention to service and getting sidetracked?

Mark at Northern Audio started out selling used gear, ran out of inventory and took on new product lines to have something to sell.  He now does a significant chunk of his business with Spin Clean and on the internet.

It would appear to be economy based at the moment. 
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
Everyone is suffering...I haven't bought a Carver based piece in 4-5 weeks.  :o
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
I like all the ideas mentioned.  I like the shop a lot - I think it is one of the reasons I like living in Pittsburgh - VHFP is here.

These are my suggestions:
  • The shop used to be more of an audio geek club with repairs a secondary service.  Now that Anders is there and the repair volumes are up, the quality must be carefully monitored to make sure the repair reputation is solidly good.  Make sure the repaired/refurbished stuff is fully ready before pick up.  For me it is painful to drive an hour and find a piece was not ready for prime time. Make quality a top priority (specially for new customers and those that drive from far away - but really for all).
  • Help the customer understand what to expect as far as pricing for repairs, as early as possible in the process,  not after the repair is done.  I would love a call from the shop to tel me "Pepe, we opened this thing up and it looks like it will cost you more to repair it han it is worth,  why don't you write this one off?"  (and of course,  charge me a nominal fee for assessing it - nothing is (or can be) free.
  • Explore the possibility of offering upgrades for certain pieces for a specific price.  You could come up with a bunch of "products" to sell on the website based on upgrading classic gear.  If you can improve the sound of my TGP1 or 300x2,  let me know!  Develop a reputation for mods - make it so that people talk about amps upgraded by VHFP in Audiokarma, etc.  As I mentioned to Rev,  I would like to bring some of my TTs to have the arms rewired with newer/better cable - there is demand for that type of thing if done well.
  • There has to be a better way to keep the website fresh with available-for-sale inventory information.  Feels like it is too tedious to add  items,  so Tom does it but slowly.  Would it be easier to maintain a typed list on the For-Sale section of the forum (including prices) describing condition and ask buyers to request pictures if interested? Consider it.
  • Consider getting representation for a few brands of new equipment that may be under-represented in Pittsburgh.  Paradigm, Anthem, Adcom, Magnepan, etc. Or look at representing less-expensive accessories if working capital is limited - like the record-washing tubs.
  • If you need working capital,  figure out a way for angel investors to be attracted.

That is all I have - my beer mug is empty.

Cheers,

Pepe

PS: And order the pizza before 10PM for us old geezers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:37:48 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks  Anders - the CT-F1250 is operating nicely,  like the recorded sound very much (still not up there with a CT-F1000 in good condition,  that thing can scare dragons away!). currently moving a Percussion tribute to Perez Prado vinyl to a Sony Cr tape.  So thank you!!! (now I need to pay you - PM the pain).

Pepe