Author Topic: Need Help Dialing In System  (Read 4644 times)

Offline toddnkaya

• Double Secret Probation!
Need Help Dialing In System
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
I am supposed to be picking up a pair of Vapor Audio Breeze speakers at Akfest in a couple of weeks. ;D
I was wondering if someone with experience would help me for an hour or 2 to get the system dialed in. Hooking a 12 inch Servo sub in,
positioning speakers etc. I live in Greenfield near Sq. Hill
I hope to have a rave/listening session when the speakers are broken in. Food and drink provided.
Thanks,
Todd

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Need Help Dialing In System
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Todd wish I could help but as you see I live in the Great South...Carolina to be exact. Some of you guys jump on this!!! Listen to some jammin speakers with free food and drink? I WOULD!!!  O0
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »
I'm close enough in Penn Hills. I'd be willing to lend a hand setting up and drinking beer  ;D
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline toddnkaya

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
Thanks Kingman!
That would be be awesome Shape-Shifter !! Much Appreciated! ( I will PM you a bit later)
These are really special speakers that are being hand built by Ryan Scott at Vapor Audio
http://www.vaporsound.com/#all

Mine will have curved cabinet, all finished in Redwood Burl. Ryan is throwing in Amorphous Core Raal Tweeters upgrade to the standard Raal tweeter( tweeter retails at $484 a piece, :o) , and a whole bunch of upgrades to the already fantastic crossover. I will have matching stands as well.  The woofer is the fantastic Wavcor driver.
The more expensive  Cirrus speaker has turned many heads at RMAF and Akfest and is said to compete or better Magico Minis and YG Acoustics etc..
My pair of Breeze speakers will be showing in at Vapor Audio room at Akfest.
Once I have the speakers broken in and the system dialed in, I will let everyone know. I think it would be fun to host a listening session/get together, as I would like to meet some of yall.
Todd

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
Just put the sub where you'll be sitting, then find an area in the room where the bass sounds how you want it to sound. Put the sub in that spot, and you're golden.

:)

PS - I gave up raving in '01.

Offline treos33

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
I wouldn't be too much help getting you're system set up, I'm still very much a noob, but I live pretty close in shadyside and would love to hear those speakers once you get them dialed in.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
I live in Penn Hills, and depending on the day/time would like to stop over and give MY 2 cents!!!   ;)

Love to listen to nice new speakers and be around audiophiles...

George 
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Great recommendation @SD!!

Just put the sub where you'll be sitting, then find an area in the room where the bass sounds how you want it to sound. Put the sub in that spot, and you're golden.

:)

PS - I gave up raving in '01.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
That's better....some good ole southern Yankee hospitality!!!!! :D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
Good opportunity to get together.  George and Sparky have great ears!  Sometimes the more the merrier.  Good luck!
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
See you and your new speakers at AKFest Todd.

Offline toddnkaya

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
Sounds great fellas ! ;D and Thanks!
I am thinking about mid May, to get everything dialed in, and ready to host a few folks.
The amp I will be using is just temporary, unless it proves to be a better match than I think. It's an Onkyo 9555a. (80 watts of SS)
The owner/designer Ryan really recommends tube amps. I have a few pretty solid tube integrated amps I am thinking about about in the 1 grand range,somewhere down the road.
So if anybody wants to lug at tube amp over, it may be fun to compare the two.
I will keep you all in the loop, and try to send a pic as soon as I can.
BMWR75, (name again?) I look forward to meeting you at the show. You will see me. I will be the short guy (5'3'') caressing and photographing the speakers.lol...
Peace,
Todd

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
I have an A-8067. Those Onkyo amps are serious business!

bmwr75

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
BMWR75, (name again?) I look forward to meeting you at the show. You will see me. I will be the short guy (5'3'') caressing and photographing the speakers.lol...
Peace,
Todd

Scott Monroe