Author Topic: Tweaks to the setup  (Read 2519 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Tweaks to the setup
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
I swapped a few things out this weekend.  The speakers are PSB Imagine Minis - VERY small but not Bose  ;D - great imaging and bass from a tiny speaker (see sharpie as reference in the pic).  I sold Cuz' Denon and added a Rega RP1 with the performance pack (swaps the belt for a better one and adds a Rega Bias 2 cart instead of the basic Ortofon and a wool mat).  This table is all about performance - nothing fancy about the looks, they put all engineering money into the arm and platter design.  Sounds pretty darn good for an entry level TT.  Aso added a Music Fidelity VLP-S phono stage,  and AudioAdvisor threw in a Pangea P-100 upgraded power supply.

I tested a Vincent Audio SV400 integrated also from Audio Advisor.  Wow.  As in wow how inferior it sounded to the Sunfire combo,  not to mention the Carver C-1 (what a kick-ass pre).  Not experimenting with that brand any more in the near future.  Interestingly,  I hooked up the NAD 730 receiver that Klaus sold me (30 watts per channel) and it sounds AMAZING  with the Minis - like good enough to not need the Sunfire 300 x 2 - did not expect that.   Those are some good NAD watts.

OBG/Pepe

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:39:19 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Tweaks to the setup
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
Looking good Pepe!  I like the turntable cover.  I have not seen that phono stage before.  I'll bet your setup is sounding might fine!  Congrats on a very nice system!!
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
Thanks Karl!  The turntable is on another level compared to the ld Denon - but still an entry level unit (thought a bit souped-up).  So I can look forward to someday upgrading again and finding new music in my vinyl...  The phono stage is super quiet too, and with decent gain.

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
Greetings Pepe!

What was the old Denon that you owned?

Regards,

Carl
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »
A Denon DP-45F with a Shure M97XE.   Regards, P

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
Very nice!  I like PSB speakers.  You get a good bang for the buck!
Got Carver?

BB3

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Beautiful setup Pepe.------Bill