Author Topic: Reference 3a -> x-over recap  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Reference 3a -> x-over recap
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
very nice indeed!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 03:24:55 PM »
If it were me I'd go with a slightly darker stain. Maybe something similar to the color of your sub would look nice.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »
Serious - if you need help screwing up the grill work I will gladly join you and bring my trusty 3 foot aluminum ruler and a brand new single edge razor.  Just feed me any IPA beer you have and I am a re-grilling machine.

Will gladly redo the crossover caps in your ALs just let me know what caps you want from the PE repertoire (F1nut will not be happy if you chose Dayton audio, just so you know).

Pepe

Jantzen would work.  I'll pull off the crossover and make a list of what's needed.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Terrific work Pepe!
Using a router to trim the edge was a good move.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Ed - I would have preferred a darker stain too,  but the forums on this and my own experience indicates that stains exaggerate any mistakes you make in prep ad sanding.  Then you have to be absolutely sure that the varnish chemicals will not offend the stain's.  Plus it takes longer,  so I went with Shawn's suggestion of using spray lacquer,  semi gloss (looks satin to me).  Anyway,  I like it.  If I had the patience (again,  not my strength) I would order the veneer from woodcraft and order it cherry wood so it would come out as you suggest without staining. 

I later did paint the edges black to match the baffle and now the cabinet looks finished. 

Rev - let me know what's needed....   8)

Now off to the gym to burn a few calories so I can take care of a couple of Titan IPAs while listening to Coltrane tonight...   :P :P :P :P

OBG

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
I recently used Danish oil on a project, and I was very pleased with the results.
It applies like a stain, is very easy to work with, and provides a durable satin finish.

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
If I find a speaker cabinet with rounded edges (or round it off using a 1/2 radius router bit, another use for the nifty cheap router I got),  it would be cool to wrap it in this elm burr veneer:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004978/35/Elm-burl-Veneer-3-sq-ft-pack.aspx

Would look great.   8)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:23:58 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
If I find a speaker cabinet with rounded edges (or round it off using a 1/2 radius router bit, another use for the nifty cheap router I got),  it would be cool to wrap it in this elm burr veneer:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004978/35/Elm-burl-Veneer-3-sq-ft-pack.aspx

Looks like the stuff Rev used on one of his tt projects. Very nice.

Would look great.   8)