Author Topic: Laptop Media Server....someone please educate me  (Read 4985 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Laptop Media Server....someone please educate me
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.   I was hoping someone could spare 5 or 10 minutes and educate me on building
a laptop media (audio only) server.  I've started some google searches but was hoping someone could outline it for me.

So far my understanding of this process is:
1) copy my native CDs onto my laptop hard drive as lossless files (flac comes up on google).  Once they are on my laptop
I can use my headphones while traveling and (worst case) use the headphone jack to feed my preamp.
2) I would then like to take these flac files and spit a digital signal out of a USB port and use
a USB DAC...the AudioQuest Dragonfly seems to be a huge bang for the buck.  Use the Dragonfly's audio out to my humble preamp.
3) ...or have the laptop export a digital signal out of a USB port and use a digital preamp. IE: Emotiva XDA-2.

Am I understanding the basics correctly? What software takes a flac file and spits out a digital stream from the USB ports?
Will any USB dac be able to understand and use this digital signal? 

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Laptop Media Server....someone please educate me
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
If you can convert the FLAC to Apple lossless and use an old or new Mac to store, that can stream whatever you have in that Mac's iTunes to an Apple TV (1st or gen or current gen),  which can then be connected to a decent DAC via optical.  That is very easy to do and simple to use/control from your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.   The Windows option is a little more complicated.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
Thanks OBG.  At the moment I have a Windows laptop.  As an experiment I might try one of the cheap FiiO DACs I see on Amazon.
I dont think I'm ready for the Emotiva XDA digital (only)pre amp just yet.  A preamp is another "work in progress" areas.
I will continue to look into more products like the Dragonfly, HRT, MF V-dac.  Lots of choices...much more reading to do.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
Hi there!

I am also kind of playing with the concept of a music server.  Right now what I am doing is playing FLAC files on my laptop using MediaMonkey.  I use a Muse DA-20 USB DAC to go from my laptop to the Preamp.  You shouldn't need any new software to stream from your USB.  I have heard people raving about the Logitech Squeezebox Touch and the Sonos Connect. (I have 0 experience with either of those)  The Logitech Squeezebox use to be on Amazon for a bunch, then dropped to 250, sold out, and is no longer for sale.  I did, however, look on ebay and found one that is recently posted for 289.99 and free shipping.  Might want to consider it.  Or you can be like me and spend like 50, get the USB DAC, and worry about the rest later.  Here are some links that might help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch-Wi-Fi-Ethernet-Network-Music-Player-Internet-Radio-/390502683901?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item5aebc614fd

http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/logitech_squeezebox_touch_network_music_player/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSE-DA20-Hi-quality-PCM2707-USB-DAC-Nice-Mini-DAC-Silv-/270901808251?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item3f13018c7b

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
I have two different setups.  I have a media server I host on a blank xp box connected to a 2TB drive.  I use a program called Subsonic.  It's a freeware media server program.  I use a ftp server to upload to that box so I don't have to keep plugging into it.  I can upload files from anywhere.  Subsonic works well in that it is browser based and can be accessed from any computer/phone/tablet/etc.  Android and apple both have apps and widgets to run on your phone.  When I'm at work, I stream it through my laptop and use a usb connected, HifiMan tube headphone dac/amp to my headphones.  Sounds killer.  Subsonic can play any media type including FLAC files.

For home use, I have the same media box running itunes which is synched to my apple tv.  I'm using the digital out on the apple tv thru a ps audio dac before it goes through my pre.

I'd check out subsonic, it works very well for me and many of my friends.  http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:40:36 PM by Reverend »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
Sounds like Subsonic is the way to go - the software is free and you get inexpensive tech support from sweaty balls for a flat fee of tree fiddy.  :o

Offline wkhanna

• Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
I'm a windows kind of guy, so I know squat about Apple & personally do not care for iTurnes cuz it is so inflexible & does not have the best sound quality. My current set-up is an 8TB Server > MF V-Link 192 > Schiit Gungnir DAC > C-19 > Rotel RB-1090 > DIY 2-1/2 way Towers w/ 2 HSU subs

For a windows based laptop, see this link for some good set-up info to maximize performance. http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/847/Windows+7+Tuning+Tips+for+Audio+Processing

I put all my files into FLAC format. It is 100% lossless & about 30% smaller in size than other losless formats.
If find your memory is not big enough you can get a small portable USB HD for less than $100.
You run a USB cable to your DAC if it has a USN input. If your DAC does not, you can get a USB to SPDIF converter. Run a USB cable to the converter. Then run a coax digital or TosLink (optical) to your DAC. I recommend the Music Fidelity V-Link 192 http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVL192

I use AISO4ALL v2 as my output driver.
I use dBpoweramp for ripping. It imports all the metadata & cover-art automatically & will auto-correct any errors.
I use Foobar to manage & play all my music.

I think the Drangonfly is probably the best value out there right now in DAC's. It can easily be used for headphones or in your main system.

As always,
JMHO YMMV
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
Forgot to mention that I use another freeware program called Fluke.  This allows the playing of FLAC files in itunes.

Offline treos33

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Rev, are you sure Subsonic can stream flac? I know it can play flac but from my breif experience with it I thought it always transcoded flac to mp3 when streaming. Not entirely sure though, that was a while ago.

As for a DAC I have the Fiio E10 at work and I like it a lot so far. And its on sale for super cheap this weekend:

http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905

Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
I think you are correct about the streaming.  From the subsonic website.

"Transcoding engine allows for streaming of a variety of lossy and lossless formats by converting to MP3 on-the-fly."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
I was never a big fan of iTunes,  but Rev's setup with the AppleTV sounds pretty darn good to my ears (but it may be the damn Silvers coloring sound to perfection). You can go to the trouble of using something else,  but at the end of the day to me it is about sound,  and that config sounds pretty darn good.  If your aim is to play higher-re files itunes is not the best choice (I use Songbird to play FLAC files,  that is a great app). The best-DAC debate gets religious pretty quick,  so not going there.   I am happy with the Emotiva I am using in the main system. 

OBG

Offline treos33

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
Another really easy option if you will only be dealing with music is to just use google music. That's what I use to listen to music at work with me Fiio E10 and on my phone. You can upload up to 20,000 files with a free google music account. It can handle any type of audio file but it will convert any lossless to 320kbps mp3 during the upload process. Definitely worth checking out.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

bmwr75

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »
iTunes on a PC or Mac streaming to an AppleTV feeding a DAC via its digital output is absolutely the easiest way I think to stream great sounding music.

I've never downloaded or bought a single lossless music file.  My whole music library in iTunes is ripped from CDs using Apple Lossless file format (basically the closest Apple format to FLAC).  Don't think iTunes is the greatest CD ripper, but the convenience overrides this for me.

I have a Squeezebox Touch that is used to just stream FLAC and other files > 16 bit/44.1 Hz resolution from the same PC.  Logitech Media Server has to run on the PC to do this........sad thing is Logitech has discontinued the Touch.  These Hi-Rez files sound amazing. 

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
Fwiw, you might want to check out xbmc as your interface.
It's an htpc package but may do the trick.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline wkhanna

• Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »

So far my understanding of this process is:

1) copy my native CDs onto my laptop hard drive as lossless files (flac comes up on google).

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is a freeware program you can download to make copies of your CD’s. It can make MP3 or Lossless files, among others. However lossless files being bit-perfect (they have all the resolution of your CD) are large & can use use up your memory quickly. MP3's are compressed, require less memory but have less ressolution.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

Once they are on my laptop I can use my headphones while traveling and (worst case) use the headphone jack to feed my preamp.

You can, but the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in any laptop is typically a $5 chip with less than optimal performance.

2) I would then like to take these flac files and spit a digital signal out of a USB port and use
a USB DAC...the AudioQuest Dragonfly seems to be a huge bang for the buck. Use the Dragonfly's audio out to my humble preamp.

The DF is a V good option for anyone starting out, IMHO.

3) ...or have the laptop export a digital signal out of a USB port and use a digital preamp. IE: Emotiva XDA-2.

The XDA-2 is a DAC with a headphone amp & a volume control. It will not accept analog inputs. With the DF, you basically get the same thing, but it is portable so you could easily use it with your laptop or home system.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!