Author Topic: Laptop Media Server....someone please educate me  (Read 4930 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Laptop Media Server....someone please educate me
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Thank you all very much!  I do appreciate the time and effort from all.  After the holidays I think it will be the AQ Dragonfly.
Looks like a very nice product at a very reasonable price.  I definately think that 2013 will be the year I start my media
server.  But then again I also promised myself I would start scanning in all of my negatives to once and for all start digitizing my
35mm and medium format negatives...another gigantic project.  Thanks again everyone!

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
Ataudio
How many CDs will you be ripping to your hard drive? I currently am using a Logitech Touch with a Benchmark DAC and OrangeCD for cataloging.

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline ataudio

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
Hi Ron,  I honestly dont have a ton of CD's.  I took a break from the audio hobby a few years ago and traded, sold, gave away a fair amount.  Probably around 300 CDs at the moment.  Very low by audiophile standards.  I spent the last few years heavy in the photography hobby.
Sold my tube pre/monoblocks, CD player, DAC, speakers...all of it.  Still digging the photography very much but realized I missed my stereo
very much.  But...thats OK. I rebuilding my collection and its given me a chance to rethink my front end.  The benchmark sounds like a great
product.  I've seen them advertised and reviewed out on the web.  Not too sure about the Touch though.  First I've heard of it.  I will
def look into it.   

Offline ataudio

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »
I am an idiot...StephenWVU mentioned the Logitech Squeezebox Touch....Ron mentioned the Touch....one in the same...(slapping forehead)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 02:56:53 AM »
Haha, no worries!  Tell us what you do and how it sounds!  If I find any good deals on any of the stuff I will tell you.  I have a craigslist app that notifies me on stuff anywhat close. =)
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline ST-Rider

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:55 AM »
I have a Squeezebox Touch that is used to just stream FLAC and other files > 16 bit/44.1 Hz resolution from the same PC.  Logitech Media Server has to run on the PC to do this........sad thing is Logitech has discontinued the Touch.  These Hi-Rez files sound amazing.

If you can find a Squeezebox Touch (just found out they're discontinued...that sux!), you can get an external hard drive that has the capability of running the Media Server, thereby eliminating the need for a PC. That's how I have my setup at home.
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

Offline wkhanna

• Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »
ataudio,
Lots of great, trustworthy info here. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Check out the C.A.S.H. List, too. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/331-computer-audiophile-suggested-hardware-list/

Keep us posted on your progress.
....just an "ON" switch, Please!