Author Topic: WTB: Revox/Pioneer/Akai 10" reel capable reel-to-reel deck  (Read 3487 times)

OldiesButGoodies

WTB: Revox/Pioneer/Akai 10" reel capable reel-to-reel deck
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
Looking for a restored and/or electronically pristine unit with low hours.   PM me if you have one for sale or have a lead on one.  Will consider other brands. 

Thanks

OBG

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: WTB: Revox/Pioneer/Akai 10" reel capable reel-to-reel deck
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
still having issues with the 909?  Of the three you mentioned I honestly think the ReVox is in it's own league.  Parts are readily available, they simple to work on (not by me though) and they were built to take a lot of abuse.  Of my three, Teac, Akai (top of line Akai) and ReVox, the ReVox is definitely the best sounding.  Of course this is my opinion which counting for inflation is still only worth a few cents.  I do have experience using reel to reel tape decks continuously since 1970.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
The 909 was repaired by Anders and worked well. But Tom recommended I sell it to get a newer unit that will still have more time on it.  So I did.  Looking for a replacement.

Yes,  a Revox is my desired end state,  but will see what pops up...

>:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
Don't overlook an Otari.   I've seen a couple of these pop up cheap lately and though it doesn't have the cache of a Revox, it is a pro model of similar quality.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »
Funny I should mention that.   I just looked and there is one on CL now for a buck and a half.   Only question is if it is quarter track or half track.   Maybe the seller could provide a picture of the heads.   It is two channel for sure.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »
I agree with Markshan with one exception.  Neither one in good operating condition and decent heads is going to sell for $150.  With the A77 look for a mark IV as it is that last batch made.  That is what I have.  Otari's sell for more than the A77 in comparable condition and may have been subjected to more professional use thus wearing out the heads.  Of course this can be true of either.  Feel free to check out my A77 any time.  Tom has a B77 which is also a great deck.  Not sure about Otari, but I know ReVox parts for the most part are still readily available...especially from Europe where they are made. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
The 5050 is still in production, thus parts are still completely available.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
Neither one in good operating condition and decent heads is going to sell for $150.

I'm in the habit of paying far less than stuff is worth.   I've gotten DCM TimeFrames for $15 and complete Leak systems for $85.   I agree that normally they would sell for much more, but don't go into a situation assuming the worst just because the price is low.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
Good suggestions.  I am planning on looking at the heads carefully and gauging level of use on whatever deck I buy next.  Like Mark says - there are always good deals to be had in the occasional CL listing or garage sale.  Or PBJ decides to thin out the herd...... 

>:D

Pepe

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
OBG...see my reply to the ebay listing you posted in Shoutbox.  The only thing thinning out right now is my hair!  So far all the decks are staying.  That could change if I don't do well with the chemo.  Then I might start thinning the herd.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
Papa - your herd is fat.  you need to consider simplifying.  the other day you could not get one of your sheep to say behhhh because the wiring craziness ate the switches for lunch.    I think the easiest solution is to eliminate the tascam cassette deck, the revox and at least one of the russound switches.  and by eliminate I mean sell to me. 

and btw - i still owe you for a metal take up reel - the guilt from not paying you is all-consuming.  I need a deck to use the reel with though.   >:D

OBG

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
I would highly recommend a Teac.  All parts are still available as Tascam is still in the professional tape machine business.  The following photos are for your viewing pleasure, and this deck is not for sale . . . .

Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »
So I see in the other thread you did end up getting an Otari?   Where did you pick it up?   Was the price good?   Do you like it?   It looks clean in that pic.