Author Topic: Honda Civic Hybrid  (Read 4497 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Honda Civic Hybrid
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
I purchased a new Honda Civic Hybrid back in 2009.   The sticker on it touted it would get 40 mpg city and 45 mpg highway.  These claims turned out to be so inaccurate  as to be laughable - it never got more than 33 mpg in the best of circumstances,  whereas Prius drivers have a much better experience at the pump.

I joined a class action against Honda and today, after two years, I received what I hope is only part of the settlement:  a DVD that teaches me to turn off the AC but keep my windows closed, drive downhill and pray to get the results they somehow got at a testing site.  What a rip off.  That is the last Honda I buy.  This car is  :(|) ass.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Honda Civic Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
There was an attorney in California who didn't join the class action, sued Honda and won a sizable award, not just for the extra gasoline expense, but the reduced value of the car.  I know it doesn't help your cause, but other car makers are the same, including Kia, if I recall correctly.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline SHEEVS

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
So what did we learn here today?

Buy American. And I don't want to hear that it was made in this country B.S. that money still goes back to that country no mater where that rice rocket was made. You get what you pay for and at that it was over priced. ???
breaker breaker

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »
EPA and manufacturer initial estimates are hardly every accurate. Usually they're over by 2-3 MPG. Granted a 10 MPG difference is inexcusable.

Telling you to cut out the AC and put windows up at highway speeds is laughable. Perhaps you could go through Honda USA and see if they'll give you a very healthy trade in value on the car due to your dissatisfaction. You speak that dirty HR language, stress the fact that you paid for the Honda name and you feel as if you've received a substandard product. Don't rule out Honda in the future. They do make the most dependable cars on Earth.

Never buy a car toward the beginning of its production run. :(

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »
The settlement is supposed to include a voucher towards the down payment for another Honda,  but no sign of that yet (Would I actually use it? not likely - too many bad experiences with this one). 

The distance between EPA and actual is a well known reality - but this car takes it to the limit, and even "hyperliming" behavior yields little. My friends who have recent Prius do not report these gaps,  they are talking about hitting 50 mpg frequently.  That said,  I hate continuously variable transmissions (a stable of most hybrids) and will probably never own a Prius if I can manage it.  Very un-fun cars to drive because of the CVT trannie.

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
So what did we learn here today?

Buy American. And I don't want to hear that it was made in this country B.S. that money still goes back to that country no mater where that rice rocket was made. You get what you pay for and at that it was over priced. ???

How would that money go "back to that country", if the workers that assembled it are in the US, the managers of the plant are in the US, and most likely the majority of the stockholders are in the US based on 401K and mutual fund investments?

Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
My wife's 2011 Honda CRV (4 cyl) only gets about 20 mpg around town.  My 2011 Avalon with a 265 hp V6 gets around 26 mpg, 32 highway.  Go figure!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
With the WRX I can get >30 MPG if I shift at 2500 RPM. I can also get <10 MPG if I keep it in boost nonstop.

I think underpowering a vehicle can wreak havoc on its fuel economy.

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »
I have a 2011 Civic (non-hybrid) and I'm very happy with it. My averages for in town are 31-33, trips are 34-36mpg. I have been looking into a Chevy Volt. They are expensive as hell, but if you lease one it's more reasonable. I know a guy who lives near me that has had a Volt for about a year now. 12,000+ miles on less than 20 gallons of gas. Pretty incredible!