Author Topic: Best cartridge for tracking inner grooves  (Read 10973 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Best cartridge for tracking inner grooves
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions as to the best cartridge to use to eliminate IGD. I am using a Goldring 1042, which is a decent cart, but I get distortion and sibilance on the last track of all of my records. Even new or audiophile records distort. I initially had it on my modded 1200, but thinking that it might just not mate well with the arm, I tried it on my Rega P1. It sounds a little better on that arm, but there is still distortion there. I properly aligned the cart on both tables. I even tried a different phono pre, which sounds better to me than the phono stage in my preamp, even though it's SS vs. Tube (Cambridge azur vs. Soundvalves pre). But, still the distortion persists. I am fairly certain that it's a fault of the cart. I don't want to get into a linear tracking turntable, I just want to get a needle that will track those inner grooves. Any advice is appreciated.
Ed

Also, I just want to add that I have a Shure V15 RS that needs a stylus that would be a cheap fix if it's a good tracker, but I don't want to spend the money on a needle if what I need is a different cart.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:28:17 PM by Slim-Shaddy »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Best cartridge for tracking inner grooves
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
I'm sure you did but thought i'd ask; did you use a protractor to mount your cart?  Did you check the tonearm weight and anti-skate as well?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »
I'm sure you did but thought i'd ask; did you use a protractor to mount your cart?  Did you check the tonearm weight and anti-skate as well?

Yes, Uh-hu, Yep
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
Is there a shibata for that V15 RS?   Diamond shape is the main determinant in IGD.   My AT440mLa almost never has IGD issues.   When it does I can feel fairly sure that it is groove wear.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
Is there a shibata for that V15 RS?   Diamond shape is the main determinant in IGD.   My AT440mLa almost never has IGD issues.   When it does I can feel fairly sure that it is groove wear.

Not sure. The Goldring has a "Gyger S" diamond. How does that compare to the Shibata?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »

Not sure. The Goldring has a "Gyger S" diamond. How does that compare to the Shibata?

I can't say, I don't know anything about it.   I will say that $150 might make that cart compete with carts costing 10x that price.

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
AT 440mla will pretty much eliminate that problem for you. Microline stylus shape, $170. It also has a replaceable stylus for about $105 from AT.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
AT 440mla will pretty much eliminate that problem for you. Microline stylus shape, $170. It also has a replaceable stylus for about $105 from AT.

Hmmm... I read some reviews and it sounds like it might be a giant killer. I might have to pick one up.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »
Ok, here's my dilemma. I could a JICO SAS needle for my shure for about the same price as the AT cart. The JICO needles are supposed to be amazing. The V15 is supposed to be a champ at tracking the inner grooves just like the AT. Which route would you guys take, and why?

Offline Shayne

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
My brother in law has a V15 with the higher end Jico stylus mounted on a modified Technics SL-1200. It is respectable! That cartridge with the upgrade stylus is very nice but i'm very sensitive to inner groove distortion and it isn't what I would choose. I prefer the warmer sound of the Shure, but for tracking and handling distortion, in my mind it still goes to the AT 440MLA.

Some people says the 440 has a "sterile" sound and I would tend to agree but its a small price to pay for that level of tracking. Another option for you would be a Denon cartridge. They are the best of both worlds for my ears, nice warm sound, very low distortion. A DL160, 103, 301, depending on your price range.

In a nutshell, I was ready to abandon vinyl as a source in my system til I discovered the AT440. There are better cartridges, but not for any less money. Don't pay $239, you should be able to get these with some looking around for $160-170.

Offline Shayne

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »
I had an extra that Stephen WVU is borrowing at the moment. I'll get him to comment on his findings. Not sure if he is definitely buying my extra 440, if not, i'll be selling a 440 that's not even broken in yet, less than 40 hours.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
I'd be interested in a used one that I could sell if I didn't like it, and be able to recoup my funds. The problem with the JICO is that I'd lose money if I didn't get the results I was looking for. I'm by no means wealthy. If I'm going to dump $150 plus on something, I'd better be sure it's what I want.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Ed, I will go ahead and say I have a Shure V15 Mk 4 cart.  There may be something wrong with it but compared to the AK 440 I might as well throw it in the trash.  There is almost no distortion with the AK cart but I am thinking I might move to a Denon and possibly a MC cart to compare the differences when I have some extra cash.  If you want to buy it I more than endorse it for what you want.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Shayne

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Sounds like Stephen is going to pass on the AT 440 mla, I am going to sell it. Less than 40 hours total, original box and packaging. Pm me if you're interested.