Author Topic: Best cartridge for tracking inner grooves  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Best cartridge for tracking inner grooves
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:46:15 AM »
AT 440mla will pretty much eliminate that problem for you. Microline stylus shape, $170. It also has a replaceable stylus for about $105 from AT.

Hmmm... I read some reviews and it sounds like it might be a giant killer. I might have to pick one up.

If you go to the media forum here there is a list of albums I dropped with a 440mLa.   Tell me what you want to hear and I'll send you links.   I love my 440.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 12:48:28 AM »
My brother in law has a V15 with the higher end Jico stylus mounted on a modified Technics SL-1200. It is respectable!

Is it the shibata?   There is a whole line of JICO styli IIRC.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:09 AM »
My input is probably worthless as I have a linear tracking turntable (ReVox B795), but I recently bought a new Grado Gold1 from Tom.  I ran it through my copy of the Shure Audio Obstacle Course and it did an excellent job tracking the heavily modulated tracks. This info may or may not be useful but I have to get my post count up so I can get rid of the FNG title...plus I can't sleep as usual...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:01 AM »
You can get the Micro Ridge (next step up from shibata) for $8 less by going straight to the manufacturer...

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1523

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
I think I'm going to buy Shayne's AT, but if I ever get a stylus for my shure, I'll go with the "SAS" from JICO http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1522 . 17 dollars more expensive, but supposedly way worth it.

Papa, I had a grado F1+ (similar to the Silver) awhile back and thought it sounded really good with the exception of tracking the last song. That's a benefit to having a linear tracking table for sure.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
I would love for you to get the SAS so you can tell us how it is.   Again, I love my 440, but the audiophools will tell you that you are taking a big step backwards.   The 15 w/SAS has more street cred for sure.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
Update:
I ended up with Shayne's 440MLa, and like he said, it tracks like a dream. No inner groove distortion to speak of, but it still can't track Peter Gabriel's "So" (sssssssssssledgehammer). It's pretty far from the sound of the Goldring, though. I'm hoping with more play time that will improve. If not, oh well. I have the Goldring on my Rega P1 for more tame records. Down the road I'd like to dump some money on a nice MC that's the best of both worlds, but until then, I think I'll remain pretty happy with what I've got.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:28:17 PM by Slim-Shaddy »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.