Author Topic: Advent Legacy Woofer Polarity Question  (Read 3872 times)

SunnyDaze

Advent Legacy Woofer Polarity Question
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
So I purchased a set of Advent Legacies off of a redneck up here near IUP. When he refoamed the woofer, he applied Elmer's wood glue to the surface of the woofer a la AR / KLH in the early 60's. I spent quite a few hours with tweezers and a scalpel removing all of the wood glue.

I marked the terminals so that I wouldn't confuse them when putting the speakers back together, however, since the guy who owned them previously was in there, I'm basing the polarity off of his handiwork.

There are no markings on the woofer itself other than a pink dot on the basket near the terminal mounts.

Does anyone happen to know which terminal is which?

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Advent Legacy Woofer Polarity Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »
I could be wrong but I thought the terminal closest to the dot is the positive terminal.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »
Do the battery test. If the woofer pushes out, whichever terminal is connected to the battery + is positive.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
Unfortunately all I've got here are a 12V car battery and 1.5V AAA batteries. Maybe I'll tape up 6 AAA's in parallel to generate 9V for the test.

:)

Yeah Rev, I'm thinking the pink dot is + as well.

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
I have the same understanding as Ry
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
Now my next question:

The crossover is covered in hot glue, which, from what I've read is quite normal.

Should the woofer and tweeter both be hooked up in phase (+ to + and - to - on both drivers)??

There's not much on AK, DIY, or any of the other usual sites.

I did a 30Hz-15kHz sweep on them, there's no drop off around the crossover point (2000Hz) so I'm guessing they should both be in phase...

bmwr75

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
U don't need 9V to test woofer movement.  A single AA has always worked fine for me.

Some speakers come from the factory with the woofer and tweeter wired out of phase, IIRC. 

If you'd ask your question in the AK Speaker forum, you'd get a lot more help.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
It's definitely the one with the pink dot. The battery test confirmed this.

I did call Tom and asked him about the proper polarity. He said that the Legacy I's should have the drivers in phase.