Author Topic: Unrestricted: Bearjews band's new EP  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Unrestricted: Bearjews band's new EP
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »
Bearjew asked me to provide a stream for you guys to listen to.  It's in FLAC format.  Give the album a listen and comment with your thoughts.

Unrestricted - "Angel of Death EP"
Link:  http://turdserver.subsonic.org/share/pyePn

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Unrestricted: Bearjews band's new EP
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
WOW!!!!!! and I thought Jim Dandy of Black Oak had a weird voice! I could nearly listen to this shit if it weren't for the ...and I say this with love for Steve...the singer! What a horrible voice...I guess this stuff is supposed to sound that way and hope the Jew gets rich, but just not my cup of tea...
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
The recording is good. The screaming/guttural vocals thing is kind of hard to follow but I am sure it is a mater of what you like.  It is tougher to appreciate the melodies embedded in the sound in this type of music.  I am sure seeing it live would help.  My Maggies sounded good with it, though...

That was not very helpful,  so I ill go back into my shell now.   ::)

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »
Haha thanks guys, but I'm just asking for feedback on the recording, not the music. I figured that since you all have ridiculous systems that you would be able to give me an opinion on the mix. The uploads that you guys listened to are cd quality, so yeah, please let me know.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
"Shut Up...Or I'll Hit You With a Shovel"  starts out sounding just like "Runnin' With The Devil" by Van Halen~  cool

Quality of the recording sounds good. 
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
On a positive note the bass player is kicking ass!!!!!!!!  8) ;) :laugh:
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
The recording is done well.  The Bass player sucks. >:D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
The recording sounds very balanced.   Great drum sounds and a nice stereo image.   The tonal balance is also right on IMHO.   Plus a big tanks for not giving into the loudness wars.

Growling vocals aren't really my thing, but even so I recognize that this sounds very professional.   The performances are tight.   Did you use a lot of gating/triggering or are you guys just that together (or some of both)?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »
Needs dynamics. Everything sounds the same volume. Use loudness to express. My two cents.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
Needs dynamics. Everything sounds the same volume. Use loudness to express. My two cents.

Isn't that typical of the style?   I think that compared to something like Death Magnetic (for example)  this is relatively dynamic.

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

yup.yup.yup.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

bearjew

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

A) Markshan, in order to avoid the loudness war bullshit, I actually made sure the entire EP peaked at -15dB RMS, whereas most things today usually go from -10 to -5.  In general, older recordings (from before the loudness war era) usually stayed around -20dB.  We wanted to avoid the loudness war stuff, so we kept it down, but we didn't take it down to -20 just because we still HAVE to compete with the loudness wars, whether we like it or not.

B) Markshan, it hurts me deeply to see Death Magnetic as a reference point in this discussion.  Death Magnetic is ALL square wave haha.  It's more square than Sparky :P

C) Sparky, there's no room for dynamic range in the music.  It's death metal; dynamic range really doesn't do much in the genre.

D) OCCD, suck my balls.

E) Rabbit, if you listen to Children of Bodom's song "Angels Don't Kill" back-to-back with "Runnin' With the Devil", you'll realize exactly what influenced my vocalist/guitarist when he wrote the song haha

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
Yeah, it's criminal what they did to Death Magnetic.   I know a guy who did a rip from some video game because that was the only source for a reasonably natural sounding copy.

I do vinyl rips on a regular basis, but video game rips?   It boggles the mind.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
So, how about the gating/triggering question?   Is that a trade secret which you can't divulge?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
We wanted to avoid the loudness war stuff, so we kept it down, but we didn't take it down to -20 just because we still HAVE to compete with the loudness wars, whether we like it or not.

Agreed.   I think you did a great job of a "modern mastering" which isn't painful to listen to.