Author Topic: Unrestricted: Bearjews band's new EP  (Read 6293 times)

bearjew

Re: Unrestricted: Bearjews band's new EP
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
ah, the triggering.  we don't have the quality or quantity of microphones to record the drums, so we had our drummer program exactly what he plays into software called Superior Drummer (which has 24-bit, 96k samples).  from there, we altered each drum specifically to sound as close to his kit as possible.  obviously, it still sounds better than the real drums because the samples come from VERY expensive kits recorded with VERY expensive microphones in VERY expensive studios.  Anyway, after the drum stuff was all programmed, we recorded the guitar and bass just straight up.  There was no quantizing, or pitch correction (which we take pride in, since everyone feels so obligated to constantly use it).

recording the bass was kind of heart-breaking though.  it sounds great on my carver ribbons, of course, but we had to EQ the second harmonic to be a little louder so it will come through crappier systems that can't hit 30Hz (the lowest fundamental frequency that my bass puts out based on the tuning it's in).

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:21 AM »
You guys did a great job with that.   The drums don't sound sampled.   Very nice.

30 Hz.   Do you tune down to "D"?   The low "E" is 42 Hz, IIRC.

bearjew

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 06:45:07 AM »
No, we tune to B flat. B is 31 approximately, and A is 27.5. It's heavy as balls though!

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
The drums don't sound sampled.   Very nice.

As a drummer, I disagree. The drums definitely sound sampled... but its ok! I would rather listen to well sampled drums then poorly recorded drums or well recorded shitty drums. You definitely lose some of the drum presence when sampling. Its really hard to imagine being in the room with the drumkit from hell. And with this genre of music you almost have to sample your drums unless you some insane studio budget.

Overall I think the drums sound very good. I just wanna hear your drummer play live and see if his double bass is really as tight as the recording.  :P
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

bearjew

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
Haha yeah dude, he's not the fastest drummer in the world, but he's VERY consistent and maintains dynamics very well.  Keep in mind, I moved to Virginia to play with these guys, so it's not like they're a bunch of n00bs.