Author Topic: Tape Selector boxes  (Read 2341 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Tape Selector boxes
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
So many of you have multiple tape decks that I thought I'd show how I solved my "too many decks syndrome".  Russound first introduced the TM-1which I believe handled up to 3 decks but no daisy chaining ability. Then they introduced the TM-2 which handled up to 5 decks and could be daisy chained with one more of the same. I bought a TM-2 new in the 70's.  About 6 months ago I found a TM-3 on eBay. This was an updated version of the TM-1 handling up to three decks but still no daisy chain ability. Thus I had my three-head reel to reel decks connected to the 3 deck unit, routed through tape loop 1 of my Carver C-5 preamp. I then connected all of my cassette decks to the five deck unit routed through tape loop 2 of the C-1. After a lengthy search I recently found another TM-2 five deck unit on eBay. Now I have 3 three head reel to reels decks connected to one of the five deck units and 3 three head, and 1 two head cassette decks to the other five deck unit. Of course both five deck units are daisy chained together using three sets of patch cords. This offers unprecedented flexibility including full monitoring off the playback heads of 3 head units during recording/copying. Be glad to give more specifics to anyone that wants it

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
Re: Tape Selector boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
I'm going to try and add a picture. I also forgot to mention that with the two 5 deck units daisy chained together it gives me the ability to have up to 10 decks all on "1" switch box with the ability to record/play/copy/monitor just about any combination I want including on multiple decks. I never posted a photo before and bearjew told me how to do it...I think. I'll give it a shot.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Photo attachment didn't work. The forum tells me my photo file is too large. As I have no clue how to change it I give up. If anybody wants to see it let me know and I'll email the photo

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
Papabearjew,  looks like you are my long lost brother!  Few tape deek aficionados like us here... If you have an extra switcher to sell please let me know, i sure cold use one.  Also, if you have a spare take up reel let me know as well via PM. 

What operating system are yi using, windows or Mac?

OBG

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Papa BJ, try uploading the photos to photobucket, and then using the "img" link to post your photos here.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
OBG. If you're my long lost brother that would make you unclebearjew!   I have always been intrigued by tape recorders. Bought my first reel to reel in 1970 while in 10th grade.  All I have is an Asus Android tablet I got cheap from Woot. My laptop died a long time ago and I haven't had the extra money to replace it

S-S. I have no idea how to use photobucket. The photo I have is decent but I took it with my phone.

If anyone is willing I can email a photo to you and maybe you could post the photo on my behalf.

Thanks and go Pirates

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
PBJ-we might be twin sons of different mothers (Dan Fogelberg, I believe).  I also got my first R to R in 10th grade, in 1970.  It was a Sony 252D, which has long since been worn out and trashed.  I still have the tapes I made on it.  I also have the tapes my mother player on her Webcor, going back to the mid 1960s.  That Webcor was a piece of junk, but the tapes still sound very good, even better than the vinyl versions when I can compare formats.  Not bad for almost 50 year old source material.

Unlike you and OBG, I have only one R to R (the Revox) and three cassette machines (NAK CR 3a, B&O 5000 and Kenwood K-1020).  The B&O is just plain cool.  The decks are spread over several systems, so no need for a patch bay.

OBG-if you have a spare receiver or pre around, might it work to expand your tape loops?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77