Audio Discussion > List your system

My latest give away system

(1/9) > >>

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
Some of you may know that I often "load up" on gear that I buy at yard sales or pick up from the side of the road.   I play with it for a little while then give it away, usually to someone well my junior who is interested in getting into vinyl.   I've given away a few fairly nice "mid-fi" systems because it is fun to do so and I can't justify keeping it all around.   I think it is my mid-life crisis, buying all of the cool toys I wanted as a kid but couldn't come close to affording.   I don't think of it as thinning the herd, I think of it as having systems all over the greater Pittsburgh area.

This system was going to go to a friend who did some video work for me.   His new wife said that her Crosley from Target was all they needed but thanks anyway (ugh).   So, next in line was my daughter's best friend, thirteen year old Alexis.   Evidently my daughter Gina was telling her about how I do this from time to time, and she said she would really like to have a system.   So I asked her dad if it was okay and he said he still had some vinyl but nothing to play it on.   Okay then.

This pic is the stuff in my basement, playing an album by one of my daughter's favorite bands "needtobreathe".   This system sounds better than I expected it to.   The CD sounds really good with electronic or acoustic music.   Rock stuff with real drums is a bit hot on the treble side for my liking.   The turntable doesn't sound as good, it is quite bright.   I put a new, cheap stylus on it, so I am hoping this will improve with some break in (if not, I'll give her dad some suggestions for a cartridge upgrade).

I suspect these speakers could be really good with a tweeter and/or a crossover upgrade.   They are VERY hot in the 6k area.   I suspect that the mid and tweet just have high pass caps (didn't bother going under the hood to check) and that both drivers are probably playing in this region.   At any rate, on rap/dance stuff they crank (where that metallic sound is more desirable).

So here is the rundown on the system...

Optimus STA-2170 Receiver - $10
Technics SL-D30 Turntable - $5
Generic eBay Stylus for above - $11
MGA (Mitsubishi) M-C 2200 CD Player - Free
Sony SS-MF400 Speakers - Free (big thanks to SD and special mention to PBJ)

papabearjew:
very admirable markshan

StephenWVU:
I tip my hat to you, sir.

Kingman:
Paying it forward in action!!

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
I firmly believe that there is a link between giving systems away and finding complete Leak systems for $85.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version