Author Topic: Power source for power amp  (Read 2599 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Power source for power amp
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
I find it interesting that my Phase Linear 400 states in the instructions that the A/C line cord should be plugged into the switched power outlet on the preamp in use.  Yet my Carver C-5 preamp states not to plug a power amp into its switched power outlets.  Interesting as both were designed and built by Bob.

Offline MacGeek

Re: Power source for power amp
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »
Might have something to do with current/wattage capacity, turn on transients, etc.  There are devices available (try Niles Audio) that can be plugged into a switched convenience outlet and use relays to turn on the primary A/C outlet into which the amp is plugged.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:27:23 PM »
Thanks MacGeek.  I'll have to check those out.  Are they expensive?
thanks

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
PBJ-the Niles website is: www.nilesaudio.com.  Prices are not provided, but there is a toll free number to call.

I find A/C power management to be one of the biggest pains in this hobby.  Between having enough outlets, hum, and auto turn on requirements, I have cords and black boxes everywhere.  MAC made a power relay (model R-612), that works with switched outlets on receivers and pre-amps.  Its a 6 outlet power strip with an A/C plug that goes into the receiver or pre- amps switched outlet and a second very heavy duty A/C plug that goes into the wall outlet. When the receiver is turned on, the switched outlet triggers a relay in the R-612 that turn s on the power strip.  It can handle 15 amps.

Another option is a Belkin power strip.  It has always on outlets, a current sensing outlet and more outlets turned on by the current sensing outlet.  When a Receiver or pre is plugged into the current sensing outlet and turned on, it will cause the controlled outlets to automatically turn on.  It's relatively cheap at around $30 and can be found in discount stores home centers and Amazon and the like.  https://www.belkin.com/conserve/smartav/
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
thanks MacGeek.  The Belkins sure look like they'll do what I want and are priced reasonably.