Author Topic: PA Audio Delta 100  (Read 8070 times)

OldiesButGoodies

PA Audio Delta 100
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
Since Carver C-19 is on vacation, I replaced the fuse folder on this oldish amp and hooked with the HT receiver feeding the NHT 1.5s.  WOW. It sounds really good.  One could do w/o tubes with SS amps this good (McCormack is another example).

Tomorrow I am recapping the x-overs on the 1.5s to see if that improved the sound further (Dayton Audio Grade film caps - not aiming to spend a fortune I will never get back on these.  Amp has nce pace/dynamics,  and feels very transparent and accurate to me.

Pepe

PS - apologize for the mess in the man cave...

That is the new addition  Otari MX-5050 reel deck I recently acquired.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: PA Audio Delta 100
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
How do you like the Otari?   I loved working with the one we had back at conservatory.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
That thing looks like a monster!

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:12 AM »
What a mess... Unacceptable, Pepe.  Just playing.  It looks like a fun system!  :P
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »
What!!!  I only see ONE Nakamichi cassette deck in the picture!  That is totally unacceptable!!!   :P

Looks good Pepe!
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
The Otari is nice, BUT it would sure be nice to get your take on how to use it properly Mark,  it has more settings than a space shuttle and the manual is not very helpful IMO.  Maybe when you come to get the pad you can give me a primer. The sound is different from the Pioneer reels, good and accurate but I am missing a certain warmth - must have to do with settings or a need to soup up the amplifier (you can remove the amp on these and there are even more settings to mess with there).  I have it running at 7 and 15 ips (so, 15 ips if I am recording). 

The venerable Nakamichi BX-125 in the picture is almost gone as the auction ends today.  In its place I put a Nakamichi MR-2 that sounds grate (new idler, new belt,  one bad cap replaced,  and it is kicking ass - well,  at least on playback,  no recording yet).  I should add one more cassette deck there,   will put the silver 480Z into service,  now that I have the nifty switch. 

The Denon HT receiver works pretty darn good as a preamp.  I am trying to mentally ignore that so the temptation to get rid of the C-19 does not creep in.  Once I do my homework (need to write 8 hob descriptions before end of day so that I can listen to music in peace) I will clean up the cave and take a picture again. 

I have a Nak LX-3 deck getting fixed (I am afraid of older Nak mechanisms - it is like working on a swiss watch,  so outsourcing that) that I think will sounds bad ass good when it comes back.  That may become my long term deck if not the MR-1. 

Cheers,

OBG

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Also - I have an extra multiple deck switch from the Ratshack.  If anyone wants it,  PM me.  The price is 50 cents and no I do not accept pennies or mexican money.  It probably could use upgrading the resistors and cleaning the switches.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »
The Otari is nice, BUT it would sure be nice to get your take on how to use it properly Mark,  it has more settings than a space shuttle and the manual is not very helpful IMO.  Maybe when you come to get the pad you can give me a primer. The sound is different from the Pioneer reels, good and accurate but I am missing a certain warmth - must have to do with settings or a need to soup up the amplifier (you can remove the amp on these and there are even more settings to mess with there).

It's been 30 years since I operated one, but I'll do what I can.   My first thought is that perhaps you are losing something with however you are adapting the balanced connections to unbalanced (assuming you are and that your front end doesn't have balanced I/O).   That may be a place to start experimenting initially.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
I assume you have the bias and eq settings properly dialed in.   That will make a big difference in the warmth, especially when recording.   Your blank tape should have those values listed, hust match them.

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
Pepe, my place looks like Vintage HiFi North and yours is starting to look like Vintage HiFi South.  Tom should start selling franchise rights!!!
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
The basement here currently looks like a total hi-fi clusterf__k. I think the recent influx of tube gear and speakers is the culprit here.

Put it this way, I'm not even willing to post photos. :)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
One other favor to ask, Pepe.   Please, PLEASE don't ever front Air Supply Greatest Hits when taking a gear shot.   That is so much more offensive than any clutter.   Put that copy of "Boston - Don't Look Back" in the photo instead.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
Boston? Air Supply?

How about Humble Pie's Smokin'.

OldiesButGoodies

Re: PS Audio Delta 100
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
So - answering many points in one response:

• Mark - Yes - the XLR to unbalanced wired conversion adapters probably kill some of the buzz.  Is there a better way to do that other than buying an XLR pre? [define "experiment"].  As for the tape type and bias - you are making the huge assumption that I have any idea what tape I am using.  Rev knows what tape he buys.  I buy whatever I find on sale.  I want to use the Otari's oscillator to help me calibrate it to the tape,  have not figured out what the procedure is.
  • Mark - Yes - I noticed the Air Supply LP in the picture two nanoseconds after I posted it.  I knew I was in for a world of hurt, but,  it was the first concert my wife and I went to together, so what can I say.  Am all out of love...
  • If and when I finish my homework I will clean the basement so it doesn't look like Sunny's and post a new picture.
  • VHF South ah?  The CEO of the brand is a bit of a pain,  not sure I want to deal with him.  Would force me to open the store at 4pm and close at 2AM. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: PS Audio Delta 100
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
Am all out of love...

Your wife is a lucky woman to have landed you.