Author Topic: Is this anything? (Heathkit by Daystrom tapedeck)  (Read 6113 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Is this anything? (Heathkit by Daystrom tapedeck)
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
I was at the Goodwill today and saw this for $2.99.   First I noticed that it was stereo.   Then I noticed it had aux in and out.   Then I flipped it over and saw tubes.   Okay, a Heathkit tube amp with a Daystrom tape deck?   The tape deck doesn't look like anything, but perhaps this will be easily converted to a tube integrated amp.   If not, there is probably three bucks worth of tubes in there, right?   So I brought it home.   It looks to me like it could be turned into something decent.   What do you think?

How about this odd little "woofer" with the sawed off magnet?   It doesn't look like anything to me, but I could be wrong.

SunnyDaze

Re: Is this anything? (Heathkit by Daystrom tapedeck)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
If any of those tubes test good, you'll make your cash back and then some!

Beyond that, I've got no clue what that archaic monstrosity is! I hope it's worth at least $100 so that you can recoup your intake cost.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
I hope it's worth at least $100 so that you can recoup your intake cost.

LOL! ;D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
So, a Heathkit collector on AudioKarma saw my post there and said the following...

shoot, i have been looking for this daystrom for my collection for years. please don't part this out. please send me a pm

So I did and this is his answer...

i have sitting on the shelf a Magnavox Stereo amp that is in all original condition & ready for restoration & / or Modification. it is the small chassis with two single ended 6BQ5 outputs, a 6EU7 driver, & a 6CA4 Rectifier. that's one thing i can offer. i will try to get a picture of it to you in a day or two.

Seems like a deal to me.   Probably an easier first restoration for me and an in tact piece for him.   When he says "single ended 6BQ5 outputs" is that the SETs that SD was looking for?   Is this one he is offering me likely to be a good sounding amp, or just average?

Of course, I have no idea of the functionality of either unit.   He could be offering me something with known burnt outputs.   I tend to be the trusting sort though and doubt that, even though I know it is possible.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:01 PM »
Mark,

Get it. The SET EL84 / 6BQ5 Magnavox tube amps sound exceptional. Yes, that is the SET amp that I was hoping for in my last console purchase, and indeed my wish came true.

I'm currently working on a few audio projects, so I haven't had time to fully restore my EL84 SET yet. The rectifier lights, everything powers up, but I've got a ground issue somewhere. I'm going to gut it completely and re-wire it without the stupid Maggotbox EQ circuitry in the output stage.

If you wish, I can easily guide you through that resto-mod job. Also, if you wish, I'd be willing to buy that amp from you if you can acquire it, or even possibly make a trade for something I've got that you may want. :) :) :)

It's pretty tough to smoke the OT's on one of those amps. If you jump a heater (most commonly occurs when relocating or modding the pilot light), it's a possibility, but in stock form, most likely not. If you see any abnormalities in the waxy paper surrounding the OT's, that's a good sign, otherwise, they are probably in perfect shape. Those OT's were hand wound in Chicago, they're small but oh so sweet.

P.S. - Stereophile rated the EL84 Magnavox amps as the 4th best sounding tube amp of all time.

P.P.S. - You'll need speakers that are somewhere in the 96 dB or greater range regarding sensitivity.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:28:47 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »
All great info.   Thanks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »

If you wish, I can easily guide you through that resto-mod job.

I would like that.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »

P.S. - Stereophile rated the EL84 Magnavox amps as the 4th best sounding tube amp of all time.

Do you have a link?   I'd love to see if my Leaks are on there.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »
I can find it. It's in the "Magnavoxfriends" Yahoo group.

Speaking of, if you have any intention of making that EL84 / 6BQ5 Magnavox into a little champ, you might want to join the "Magnavoxfriends" Yahoo group.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
He told me today that the amp is a Magnavox 8602-10 and that he will send pictures.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Pics (looks pretty clean)...

Bummer that the toobs are gone, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
Nice find, great trade all the way around
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Anders

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
I've been a member of Magnavox Friends for a couple years now.
I do have some Magnavox radio chassis I'm thinking of parting with.
They have a Military like construction.