Author Topic: The death of the home stereo system?  (Read 2342 times)

Bunni

The death of the home stereo system?
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
I just read this and thought some of you guys might want to comment. 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/innovation/death-stereo-system/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: The death of the home stereo system?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
thanks for posting that Bunni.  I am reading it now

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »
Bunni,
I read the entire article.  It's really a sad statement for the state of audio today.
I did post a comment under the clever name BradH.  Check it out.  I put in some good plugs for VHOP, Tom & Anders.  Hopefully they won't delete it because of that
Brad (PBJ)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:02:11 PM by papabearjew »

Bunni

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
From the number of comments, it's getting quite a bit of attention.  I can't even find yours PBJ!  :)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
if you sort them by "newest" mine at this time is about the 8th post under name BradH

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
I tend to agree that MTV, or videos changed traditional stereo.  The consumer VCR was introduced at about the same time, which drove the convergence of audio and TV (video).  I had my first multi-channel A/V system in the mid to late 80s, courtesy of a Lexicon CP-1 (and a Mitsubishi 36" rear projection "big screen" TV-the largest tube TV was only 27" in those days).  It took me only a few weeks to learn that the Lexicon was a decent multichannel processor, but not a very good stereo pre-amp.  The speaker set up was also not good for stereo. I fed the CP-1 through my stereo pre-amp to maintain the integrity of the 2 channel stereo for awhile, but soon split the multi channel (Dolby Pro-logic) system and stereo into two systems in separate rooms and it's been that way ever since.  By the way, this is good thing since it meant more gear with which to play and did allow each system to be optimized for it's specific purpose.

In my opinion, good, or even just decent cans are better than some of the junk to which people were listening until just a few years ago.  Not full range audio you can feel, but not bad nevertheless.

The most telling thing I have observed is how young people react when they hear my stereo, or yours I'm sure (ear to ear grins are common).  I have since given/sold two channel gear to a number of them.  Hopefully more will get a chance to learn what decent audio is really all about.  Of course, they still also listen to their cans.

We need to teach and expose our kids and their friends to what they are missing.  With vinyl and now even cassettes experiencing a bit of a resurgence, what a great opportunity we have.

Thanks for sharing, Bunni.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
Kind of on the lines of what MacGeek said...a few months ago my daughter-in-law was over and I had music on as usual.  I think I was playing a RTR tape of classic rock.  Whe looked at me and said "oh my god...I can actually understand the words.  I could never understand the words on that song before".  Interesting as I feel the same way about a lot of my classic rock collection which is pretty extensive (all analog)

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
I think the author should visit the Rocky Mt. High-Fi Audio Show and tell us about all the people that are not there and that the equipment is the same that was available when "Aja" was a hit.  Smaller market, sure.  But I think it's growing.  What was his source of expertise?  A 23 year old from Emory University? O0     Please!!
Carl

bearjew

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »
I agree with Carl. I hate my generation. Dad, why couldn't you and mom have pooped me out at least 10 years earlier? And now you all know why I hang out with you old farts all the time.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
I have had the same thought about being 10 years too late.  I collect toy trains, the vintage ones were new and that industry peaked in the 1950s, when I was too young to have any cash, or understand the hobby (trains were just cool toys to me then).  The good news is that the last 10 to 15 years have seen a major resurgence in the hobby---like audio, with tubes, vinyl (and cassettes), maybe?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77