Author Topic: What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »
Anyway...

In an older thread I asked for some recommendations for a bright sounding amp.  But thanks to some speaker crossover tweaking I no longer need a bright amp.  Now I just need an amp to drive my 83dB efficient speakers.  I will be using an Adcom GFP-565 preamp.  While I can get by with 125 watts, these things start shining at around 175-200 watts so I am hoping for that.  Currently they are over a friends house hooked up to a Rotel RB-1080 and sound very nice.  I am looking for used equipment to get more bang for my max 600 bucks.  However, I am hoping that price is closer to $400 or under.  Rack space is an issue so no separate dual monoblocks or tube amps please. 

Here is a short list of what I am considering.  PLEASE leave comments about these choices if you owned/heard them.

Adcom GFA-555 mark 1
Onkyo Intregra M-504
Chiro C-200
PS Audio 200C

What am I missing out there?  C'mon fellow audionerds.  Educate me and help me spend my money wisely!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
I am partial to the larger NAD amps at that price point.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
I'd buy Shayne's Emotiva he just posted.  300x2 for $600.  Can't beat that.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
I'd buy Shayne's Emotiva he just posted.  300x2 for $600.  Can't beat that.

This might be your best bet.  I never had one so I don't know what they sound like but it is a lot of power for the $$$.

http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=2435.msg22858;topicseen#msg22858
Got Carver?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
MORE POWER!!!! YES!!!!!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
If Tom doesn't get my Yamaha MX800U, it would be a good amp for you on the cheap... $250
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
I NEED THE 800U FOR 2 OHM CRAP
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
......"I am partial to the larger NAD amps at that price point.".........

I too like the NAD amps.  Owned a handful over the years.  Still use a NAD preamp.  Overall  vintage NAD reliabilty is...well...iffy.
But I never met an NAD amp that I hated.  Very musical amps.  Very easy to listen too. No major flaws. Output far exceeds
the stated watts/channel.  Now dont flame me for this but there are a few decent PA amps that sound very nice.  They will definitely have more band for the buck in terms of power.  Maybe you could borrow one just to try it out.  Get one w/o a fan though...or stash it further away so you dont hear it.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
Predictably, I'd say go with the Onkyo Integra M-504.

They're drop dead sexy, they have a very clean and slightly forward sound, they don't have bloated bass like some of its contemporaries, and they are fairly common so locating parts and completing repairs aren't an impossible chore.

I can attest for their reliability as well. I've used mine daily for the past 6 years with only one issue, a failed JFET, that was easily repaired at the shop. Sometimes I'll leave it powered on for days or even weeks.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of your options. I'm just partial to Integra gear.

Offline Finleyville

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
Initially the Emotiva was in the running.  I think I want to go in another direction this time. 

I have heard nothing but good stuff from that Integra.  That PS Audio and the Chiro have received good reviews too.  I think I will leave the Adcom as a backup plan for now but still is a viable option. 

I have heard that the Nakamichi PA-5 and PA-7 and of course the current Rotel RB-1080 (not mine, darn) that is powering them now sounds very good too. 

Besides that Yamaha MX 800 any others I should be looking for?  Carver (which models?)  Which model NAD's?

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Besides that Yamaha MX 800 any others I should be looking for?  Carver (which models?)  Which model NAD's?

Sunfire 300x2, but it will cost you a little more than your budget around $800/$900 ( you do see scratched up case units in the $600 range)
but you will KEEP it for the next 10 years or more so it's real go value.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
I don't know what your budget is, but I love my Bryston 3b. The Hafler 500 is an awesome performer... capable of crazy low impedance...and is nearly bullet proof, but if it goes, it's expensive to fix. The Kenwood Basic M2 is a surprisingly good performer. Vintage Sansui amps sound incredible, but they are pricey. I'm borrowing a Technincs SE-A50 from Tom that is a huge surprise to me. Sounds every bit as good as a Nakamichi PA-5. I'm not a huge fan of Adcom (sound/reliability), NAD (reliability), or Carver (Sound/reliability), but that's just my experience. Of all the amps I've owned (which isn't many compared to a bunch of other members), My top 3 are McCormack DNA1, Bryston 3b, and Onkyo M-508.

Hope this helps and doesn't further confuse your attempts at narrowing it down to 1.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
If you want to try the Chiro, please tell me asap.  I will be trying to go up to Pittsburgh some time next week to visit my grandparents and get in some salsa dancing.  If you want to try it out I will bring it to the shop and you can borrow it for a bit.  All other amplifiers mentioned are very nice.  At this point I just recommend trying amps and seeing what you like best.  I must say, if you can get your hands on a decent tube amp for a decent price I doubt you will regret it.  :P  Keep in mind 100 watts from a tube amp goes a long way.  There are many out there for reasonable prices.  Golden Tube SE 100 is what I run (monoblocked) and the only issues I had with them was my own stupidity on running bad tubes.  Antique Sound Labs makes the Hurricanes which are 200 watt monoblocks and they can be had for a reasonable price as well.  They are more dynamic but have less shimmer than the Golden Tube amps.  All the same I can't imagine your speakers needing much more than 200 watts from a tube amplifier.  Good luck with your search and just tell me if you want me to bring up that amp.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
At that price range I would look at the Integra M-504,  the Technics Slim mentioned, or an updated Carver TFM amp (or a 300x2 if you can find a banged up one for that price).  The McCormack DNA amp I sold to Slim is outstanding,  but not sure it can be had for $600 (unless a generous forum member sells it at a discount - in which case,  can I have mine back?  :P)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
Looking back through the entire thread, I'm going to say my #1 recommendation is the Hafler DH500. The only drawback is the fan cooling. It will out-power almost anything else in the price-range, and sound better doing it. Although it is expensive to fix, it's nearly impossible to blow up when used correctly. The reason mine blew up was a bad connection coming loose (my fault). The only other people I know on the forum with experience are Tom (OCCD) and Mike (Falcon). With 83 db efficient speakers, you need a pretty decent amount of ass behind them. I had my 500 running bass for a party at 2 ohms per channel and it didn't wimper all night (until the aforementioned connection came loose). Do your research, but if it were my money in your situation, that's what I would go for.