Author Topic: Highly Interested: Ribbon-tweetered Monsters - Legacy Focus, Whisper  (Read 5762 times)

OldiesButGoodies

So I know that the best sound is produced by Magnepans,  but my biorhythm chart says I am due to try ribbons. So looking for a pair of Legacy _______ speakers.  The Legacy line has always been works of art to me as they look very cool, and sound equally good according to reviews. The Legacy Focus SE/HD series seems to be a good fit,  if I can find a pair for low dollars.  So if you see one with a clean car fax,  please shoot me an email. 

:P

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Highly Interested: Ribbon-tweetered Monsters - Legacy Focus, Whisper
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
I have always wanted to audition the Legacys, but don't think there are any dealers.  Anyone know where I can hear them live (any model, new or used)?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
Falcon has a badass set of Legacy speakers. Very complete overall sound from top to bottom.

Are you thinking about getting rid of those Magnepans? :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:09:41 AM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:55 AM »
Ok, I owned magnepan 1.6's and later a beautiful set of 3.6r's. I now own a set of Legacy focus speakers. I feel I'm qualified to tell you what you are getting into.

Nothing will duplicate what a Magnepan does but you can get close. I put in a projector and started fooling with home theater and decided to switch to a speaker with more authority.

I found a fixer upper set of legacy focus. They were in good physical condition but the tweeters were shot and it was an uphill battle. The people at Legacy are top notch. They went above and beyond to help me with a used set of speakers and even sent me a free set of badges (one speaker was missing a badge). I'm $1600 all in! After replacing the tweeters I started switching out electronics. Bass became a huge issue. It was overwhelming in my room. I added DIY rock wool room treatments and bass traps, and started switching out my Emotiva electronics. Every change produced results. Finally I've replaced my pre with a sonic frontiers sfl-1 modded by partsconnexion and my power with an Anthem Amp-2 also from partsconnexion.

The system is phenomenal! Excellent soundstage, tons of power and authority. I have plans to eventually move forward to a set of Von schweikert or Wilson (way in the future) but I'll probably never look back to magnepan. Sorry for the novel!

Offline Shayne

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
Also, I'm a couple hours away but you are more than welcome to come spend a day and listen to anything you want before buying a set of these. In fact, if you come down I can set you up to hear two different sets of Legacy Focus speakers with totally different systems as well as a set of new Legacy Signatures. These speakers apparently make an impression. I know of four pairs in my small town.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
Legacy Focus have always been my dream speakers ( I don't have nearly enough room for the Whispers or Helixes). I heard Mike's (Tom's) Classics and they are great even though they are first or second generation. I heard a newer pair at the old shop and they were even better. I was able to compare them side by side with a pair of Polk SDA SRS's and they made the Polks sound like garbage speakers. Good luck on your search. On a side note, does this mean you are passing on the Carvers? I have a curmudgeonly old hifi shop owner interested in them.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
I need to do some research on the whole Legacy line and history to narrow the search.  As I travel about with work, I will make it a point to catch a listen.  The bass issues sound like standing waves and if so, are not a fault of the speaker.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »
Mine are the Signature, not the classic., And the couple of guys that heard mine, heard them in a small bedroom.  They are now in a bigger room at my new place.  Hooked up to the BEST amp I have heard...  The sound is second to none..
  I know some Maggies are pretty good, but,I.M.O. They can not match the dynamics of a pair of any of the Legacy line, old or new...

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:19:52 AM »
Mine are the Signature, not the classic., And the couple of guys that heard mine, heard them in a small bedroom.  They are now in a bigger room at my new place.  Hooked up to the BEST amp I have heard...  The sound is second to none..
  I know some Maggies are pretty good, but,I.M.O. They can not match the dynamics of a pair of any of the Legacy line, old or new...

Aren't they basically the same as the Classics? I know they are the Reel to Reel brand, but they look very similar to the Classics.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:05 AM »
They are the original Bill Dudleston design Legacy Signature.  The classic is very similar, but, they have a rear woofer and tweeter. Mine have down fire woofer, and no rear tweeter. The silly thing is, the Classic is based on the Original Signature..

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
...the couple of guys that heard mine, heard them in a small bedroom.  They are now in a bigger room at my new place...

Even in a less than ideal listening space, they sounded excellent. I believe you played Child of Vision by Supertramp. Everything from top to bottom was exciting and enveloping.

Where's your new hacienda, Falcon?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
Slim - the shop owner has not contacted me on the Carvers or responded to my emails,  so I think he is doing that on purpose so they end up with him.  Will try again to call him tonight.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
...the couple of guys that heard mine, heard them in a small bedroom.  They are now in a bigger room at my new place...

Where's your new hacienda, Falcon?

Still in Natrona Heights. On Primrose Lane.  1.8 miles from the old place.  Let me know if you want to come by, and I will PM you the new address.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
Shayne -

That was a really helpful share of your experience with the Legacy Focci.  Thanks.  Sounds like it ended well.