Author Topic: Cool Beater Dive Watch  (Read 12802 times)

SunnyDaze

Cool Beater Dive Watch
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-1A-Black-Analog-Reverse/dp/B009KYJAJY

It's actually dive rated to 200M. It's got a screw down crown. The spec on Amazon is incorrect as it's actually a 48mm case width.

I realize it's not my Wyler Incaflex or even my Seiko 007, but, for $40....

I ordered it last night. I'll let yinz know how compares to my Seiko when it shows up.

bearjew

Re: Cool Beater Dive Watch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
um...  planning on doing any diving?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
Muff.

Actually, dive watches are useful for more than just diving. If your hobbies or work lead you to encounter sudden shocks, magnetic fields, or chemicals, a dive watch may be for you (See the ISO 6425 Standard for Diving Watches).

For someone like me who works on vehicles often, is a firearm enthusiast and avid shooter, and dissects and repairs (or ruins) the occasional loudspeaker, a dive watch is a good investment.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
I have several watches that are dive rated.  An automatic Seiko good for 200m, a TAG Heuer chronograph good to 200m (was my 25th anniversary present 11 years ago), an ESQ good for 300m (it's massive), and a few beaters from Swiss Army and Casio.  I had bought a new Rolex Submariner in the late 70's.  Kept it for several years and eventually sold it as even though I sent it to Rolex numerous times for adjustment it still kept really lousy time.  I had a couple others but I sold them.  I used to enjoy underwater photography.  I also have a collection of vintage watches.  My oldest one goes back to the early 1920's.  Wyler made some good stuff.  They can be bought on the used market at very reasonable prices.  Seiko automatics are hard to beat also.  Reasonable price new and very durable.  I've been wearing dive watches since high school.  My first one was a Clinton 25 jewel dive watch that came packed in water.  Interesting marketing concept.  I also have my tuning fork Bulova Accutron I bought in the early 70's plus both my parents Accutron's I bought them in the early 70's for their 25th anniversary.  Check out timezone.com.  Great website for watch nuts.  HiFi, guns, watches, and Asian hookers.  All the necessities.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
love diving,  tough hobby if you live in PA; I get to do it once a year when I go back to PR.  I do love dive watches,  they tend to be extra sturdy and look cool with the shoulders around the crown.  I need to drag Elijah w me on a dive trip so he can put those dive watches to work in the caribbean sea, where the barracudas are attracted to shiny crap.   >:D

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »
love diving,  tough hobby if you live in PA; I get to do it once a year when I go back to PR.  I do love dive watches,  they tend to be extra sturdy and look cool with the shoulders around the crown.  I need to drag Elijah w me on a dive trip so he can put those dive watches to work in the caribbean sea, where the barracudas are attracted to shiny crap.   >:D

The Wyler was my grandfathers. He won it in a poker game in England and kept it through the remainder of WWII because it stood up to the vibrations of the cockpit. It's a dual crown Lifeguard Alarm, worth big bucks, albeit priceless to me. It's not going in the (not so) deep blue sea.

As far as the 'cudas go... I've got a few mil spec G-Shocks in black that will do the job. :)

I'm surprised you aren't defending Rolex, Pepe! :P
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:01:51 PM by 8 Watts of Fury »

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »
I'm a watch collector as well.  My dad used to work for Hamilton Watch when they were based here in PA.  My favorite lately is my all black Tissot T-Race, which has been in the Atlantic ocean.  Probably still has sand in it somewhere...like Tom's vag.   :laugh:

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
Nice looking watch!
Carl

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:39:24 AM »
I love Hamiltons.  Only have one vintage one.  My family bought me an engraved Hamilton Daredevil for my 50th birthday.  Beautiful with an ETA 2325 automatic Swiss movement with an exhibition back.  I also have a limited edition numbered Officers model manual wind Swiss ETA movement.  Have a couple more Hamiltons too.  For our older son's (brotherbearjew) 21st birthday we bought him a Hamilton Automatic chronograph with a Swiss ETA 7750 movement with exhibition back.  A stunning watch.  I think it was for his 21st birthday I gave Steven my Movada Kingmatic automatic chronograph with the same famed ETA 7750 movement.  Now Steven is bugging me for my Tissot T-Touch.  I had a Tissot Seastar 1000 divers watch I bought in the Bahamas.  Another ETA 2325 automatic movement with exhibition back.  Since I really can no longer dive I sold it on ebay pretty much for what I bought it for.  The Bahamas is my favorite place on earth.  Best place for taking underwater photos.  I did have a run in with a pretty large Barracuda once.  Atlantis is awesome.  My absolute favorite watch ever was my Fortis Spacematic chronograph with a Lemania 5100 movement.  Sadly I sold it a few years ago when I went on disability as I needed the money.  I'm sorry I didn't sell my sole to the devil instead.  I really miss that watch.  Wow, I could go on for hours about watches!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Well allow me to weigh in on Rolex watches then.   

I have a 1981 Rolex Submariner, it was a high school graduation gift from my uncle.  We went to the jewelry store to get a Datejust,  but I was able to persuade him to get me a Submariner instead.   As a watch aficionado I have owned many watches over time and traded them back and forth on ebay.  The Rolex has been a constant.  It in incredibly rugged and resilient.  Diving to 100+ feet is very boring as there is little color at those depths and you can only visit for a few minutes, but this watch can do it all day without issues.  The deepest I have taken it to is 115 feet for 5 minutes.   Every 7 years or so I send it back to the factory and they return it to me looking more or less like it did in 1982 (*that* is a cool feature - they restore the bracelet and case, new glass, etc.).  Mine was one of the last versions before Rolex started using mineral crystals,  so the glass gets scratched easily but also it is easy to polish and repair (it is some sort of acrylic/plastic material).  One downside:  it is always fast by a few minutes.  It gains 5 minutes every three days or so.  Rolex has looked at it twice,  fixes it,  and soon it i s back to being fast.  So i am early to meetings, on the bright side.

One day when I grow up I may buy a Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (stainless steel - no gold for me).  That will happen only after I buy the perfect pair of speakers. 

:P

Pepe

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Any love for Breitlings?

Offline Reverend

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
I'm looking at this Hamilton watch next.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
I am messing around with bands that measure your activity and also tell time.  Trying the Nike Fuel Band now,  will check out the Fitbit next.  It is an interesting idea to have something on your wrist that reminds you every day of how little you have moved or exercised.  The Fitbit adds the ability to track sleep and is also waterproof so you can swim with it. 

There are also a few smart watches out there - the Pebble, Galaxy Gear, the Sony Smartwatch - all very ugly IMO.  Waiting to see what Apple does with the iWatch.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
Rev:  Nice looking Hamilton.  I love Hamiltons.  The use Swiss ETA movements, look great and are a great value.
Pepe:  That's awesome that that was a give.  I bought mine in the late 70's and that was my problem.  I had to reset the time every few days even after sending it back to Rolex 2-3 times.  As it had no sentimental value I eventually just sold it.  I still have a Datejust.
You know you're too inactive when an automatic watch you wear all the time runs out of "charge"!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
I don't care for the "hockey puck" size watches the designers are marketing today.

I have a number of vintage Bulova watches from the late 20's to the early 50's.  Thes watches are relatively small.  I have small hands and wrists so these do nicely for me.  The art deco styles from that era are pretty cool.  I don't have any of the solid gold models.  I'm low-mid fi when it comes to watches.
Carl