Author Topic: Mullard 12AX7 ordering question  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Mullard 12AX7 ordering question
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Looking at the Russian made Mullard 12AX7 tubes on the Tube Depot web site, they offer options of: "matched and balanced" , " low noise and microphonics" and " high gain".
In my Jolida phono preamp, I do not beleive that gain will be a problem and the Mullards have relatively high gain anyway per the articles I've read... but I am wondering if I should spring the the surcharges for both the " balanced and matched and the low noise?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm still a tube novice...

thanks for sharing your thoughts and expertise.

Jim
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bmwr75

Re: Mullard 12AX7 ordering question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »
Low noise and balanced are probably the biggest issue for a phono preamp, especially if it uses only one tube, which I think most do.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Definitely matched and I'd suggest looking elsewhere.  I bought a matched set of NOS gold pinned, cryo treated, mullard 12ax7's for less than what Tube Depot wants for one tube.  I don't remember which company I used, i'd have to do some research.

Didn't catch you said "Russian" made.  Nevermind, I thought you meant NOS UK's.  You still want matched though.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:51:20 PM by Reverend »

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
NOS would be great, but aren't they a quite a bit more $$$$. If you find that location please pass it along...
 My Joida uses two tubes.. one for each channel....
Also, what about "noise" in the buying equation?
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Low noise would be best.  If you're buying two then you want them to be matched. 

I was originally thinking you were looking at NOS Mullards.  When I compare the price of those on Tube Depot to other sites they vary greatly in price.  For the Russian ones, the price looks about right.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
don't care if they are Russian or not.... just going off of this article posted in the chat section     http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2013/03/22/12ax7-tubes-brands-tested/2/

if someone has a pair of Mullards or even Genalex GL they are not using for a few days I would appreciate borrowing them to compare before I buy....  and yes I'd replace them if I damage them etc.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »
There is a big difference in sonics between the two.  As an example, you're looking at $30 for the Russian set were as the cheapest NOS ones online i'm seeing on fleabay are around $120.  I would suggest spending the extra $$$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Matched-Pair-Of-Mullard-ECC83-12AX7-Tubes-Fully-Tested-High-Ratings-/370907564314?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item565bd0491a
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:09:17 PM by Reverend »

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
Jim McShane is a very reputable tube dealer.  http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

I've bought from him many times.  Email him and let him know what you are looking for and he will tell you the best deal he has.  New issue Genalex 12AX7s are nice tubes.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
I would buy the tubes that Rev recommended.  Tested NOS Mullards.
Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »
I'll pile on......forget the Russian version, you want the NOS Mullards.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."