Author Topic: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown  (Read 19725 times)

bearjew

Re: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
Good timing, about 2 weeks away from being able to do this.  My big issue is that I didn't have a computer capable of doing this haha, but I just got it in the mail yesterday.  The mobo is defective, so I'm sending it back today.  Once it's here and everything's hooked up, I'll be good to roll.

Which mobo did you get?

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.  Supposed to be awesome. Think I might have gotten myself a lemon.

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Do yinz use special software? the reason I ask is I was wondering if Audacity is any good? if not any suggestions for a Mac user?

Anders

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »
It means you use a pop and click scratch remover.
Several audio programs include one and some do little damage to the sound and some screw the sound up alot.
I do manual click and pop removal.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
Manually I use Adobe Audition.   Automatically I use Click Repair.

bearjew

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
Do yinz use special software? the reason I ask is I was wondering if Audacity is any good? if not any suggestions for a Mac user?

Audacity is the best free audio software you'll find.  That being said, I don't think it's capable of doing most of what it takes to clean up audio.  I use Magix Samplitude.  I find that it has the most options, and runs really easily on even low-end systems, but it also costs a thousand dollars, so it BETTER be good.

Manually I use Adobe Audition.   Automatically I use Click Repair.

Audition is supposed to be pretty good; I never had a chance to tinker with it though.  I never messed with an automatic system before other than Cedar (which is stupid expensive, like 10 grand), does it actually work?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Not only is CR really great (once you find the right settings), it is from a private individual rather than a corporation.   Plus it is only $35 and has a 30 uncrippled trial to check it out.   At least trying it for free is a no brainer IMHO.

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
@Bearjew & STaL,

Thanks for the knowledge, I do appreciate it.

Bunni

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
Good timing, about 2 weeks away from being able to do this.  My big issue is that I didn't have a computer capable of doing this haha, but I just got it in the mail yesterday.  The mobo is defective, so I'm sending it back today.  Once it's here and everything's hooked up, I'll be good to roll.

Which mobo did you get?

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.  Supposed to be awesome. Think I might have gotten myself a lemon.

Ahh.  I'm not a big fan of AMD processors & mobos.  They run much hotter than Intel.  The prices are great, but that's not much use if it burns out faster.  From reviews on New Egg, it looks like others are having some trouble with the board too, others are doing ok.  I really loved Asus boards back in the day.  But then they started putting out this hybrid crap, and those boards always were discontinued quickly for issues.  My last mobo was Asus, and it worked ok, but I wasn't jazzed about it.  It was the first one I'd gotten in a long time.  Decided to see if anything had improved.  I hear Asus customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Thankfully I haven't needed them.  I've had some good luck with Gigabyte boards, which used to be kinda iffy too.  I have this one:  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4802#kf

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Let the gloves come off!  LOL!   >:D
Carl

bearjew

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

Which mobo did you get?

Ahh.  I'm not a big fan of AMD processors & mobos.  They run much hotter than Intel.  The prices are great, but that's not much use if it burns out faster.  From reviews on New Egg, it looks like others are having some trouble with the board too, others are doing ok.  I really loved Asus boards back in the day.  But then they started putting out this hybrid crap, and those boards always were discontinued quickly for issues.  My last mobo was Asus, and it worked ok, but I wasn't jazzed about it.  It was the first one I'd gotten in a long time.  Decided to see if anything had improved.  I hear Asus customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Thankfully I haven't needed them.  I've had some good luck with Gigabyte boards, which used to be kinda iffy too.  I have this one:  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4802#kf

I was going to give them another chance, but I'm returning the whole setup.  My laptop just died, so I need to replace that; I'll get a desktop another day.  Still like ASUS though.  I beat the shit out of that laptop for a few years, and it had served it's purpose for being only 400 dollars.