Author Topic: check out this article about music intonation!  (Read 2612 times)

bearjew

check out this article about music intonation!
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/08/440hz-music-conspiracy-to-detune-good-vibrations-from-natural-432hz.html

if you don't feel like reading it, here's a short description:  432Hz is a frequency that is "mathematically consistent with the universe".  440Hz is not.  the article mentions a theory that Joseph Goebbels (of holocaust fame) is responsible for the switch.  it is theorized that goebbels used the frequency shift basically as a form of psychological warfare.  as of 1953, 440Hz became the standard tuning for A, instead of 432.  in short, apparently some people believe that this use of 440Hz is a cause for anti-social behavior in people.

thoughts?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: check out this article about music intonation!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »
I read that a few months back.   I thought it was interesting, but a little far flung.   Who gave Goebbels the power to change the world standard?

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
Not that it means anything here but I believe there were/are areas in Europe that used/use A=442 and some orchestras have been known to tune a cent or two higher. Heck my Korg orchestral tuner is adjustable for concert pitch of A=349-499!  Some soloists, especially violinists, are known to prefer tuning to a higher concert pitch.

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
thrifty, don't forget the impact that nazi germany had on the world.  i mean, without nazi science, we wouldn't have 90% of the technology that we have today, so i still find it quite believable that goebbels could have had an impact like that.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
Did the Nazi's come up with the Brown Note?

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Reading some of the referenced articles, the concensus is that 444 is more the.
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
420 Hz makes you haaaaaapy.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »
"A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe."

What?  ??? Mathematically consistent with the universe? What in the f&%k does that even mean?

After reading this entire article and investigating the web sites sourced within the article, it sounds like a bunch of sacred geometry mumbo jumbo. None of these claims about mind altering frequencies seem to be grounded in anything resembling verifiable science.

Bearjew - You may be overestimating Nazi technology. A few of the formulators of the Copenhagen interpretation and various early theories of quantum mechanics were German physicists, notably Heisenberg, Born, and Planck. Of course, Werner Von Braun and his colleagues made tremendous strides in aerospace engineering during that same era.

Due to material restrictions as the result of various nations placing Germany on embargo status, many of the German researchers were unable to obtain the raw materials required to advance their work. For example, "heavy water" was unavailable to German nuclear physicists, thus making the production of tritium impossible and leaving the Nazi A-Bomb project without an initiator material.

Actually, the Germans had some technological shortcomings during the war, including their inferior radar systems.

If you want to credit one individual as being responsible for a significant portion of the technology that we enjoy today, look toward Claude Shannon. His monumental work "The Mathematical Theory of Communication" laid the foundation for information theory, cryptography, digital computation, telephony, digital information transmission and storage, and many, many, many more advances that have come to fruition.

bearjew

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
SD, I'm not sure where you went with this. Nothing I said relates to technology. If anything, it's psychology.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:25:42 AM »
without nazi science, we wouldn't have 90% of the technology that we have today

I must have mistook this. 

bearjew

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
Refer to the sentence before that

SunnyDaze

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
don't forget the impact that nazi germany had on the world.

I mean, they did invent Fanta.  ;D

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
don't forget the impact that nazi germany had on the world.

I mean, they did invent Fanta.  ;D

And reel to reel tape recorders (Ampex)
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
"A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe."

What?  ??? Mathematically consistent with the universe? What in the f&%k does that even mean?

There ya'll go setting him off again.  How about we not mention the "M" word again for a while and let 8WoF settle down.   :police: