Author Topic: Opinions on Klipsch Forte II's??  (Read 13966 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Opinions on Klipsch Forte II's??
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
Hey guys,

I put a deposit down on them and am going to pick them up tonight (12/10) -- Hope they fit in my civic.  I dont have a digital camera or smart phone (old school!) but I will get my friend to snap one after I pick them up tonight and put it up.  I will probably need help/instruction on how to fix the tear, i think I have a good idea.. But I also was wondering if you thought they would possibly need new caps?  Made in 1990, havnt been used since probably 2000.   Also any advice on room placement would be great.  Some people say close to walls/corner, others say 2 feet out?  Any ideas?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
They could need new caps. Some folks will say it's an absolute. Other folks will tell you to let your ears be the judge. I didn't recap my Choruses (1989, I believe) because they sound stellar as they are.

PW Klipsch recommended placing his loudspeakers in adjacent corners and angling them toward the center of the room at 45 degrees. The aim of this arrangement is to provide the maximum stereo sound field throughout the room in addition to utilizing the room itself to reinforce low frequency output.

I personally prefer them set up in an equilateral triangle and angled in slightly toward the listening position about 18 inches out from the rear wall. Although horns have solid off-axis response, they are still highly directional. Your personal taste and room geometry / acoustics will dictate position following trial and error.

And best of luck cramming them into a Civic. You may want to make two trips. One for each speaker. Or you may want to remove the PR's before you haul them so you can position them with peace of mind.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:23:15 PM by 8 Watts of Fury »

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
Guys I had been asking about how to repair my torn PR on the Forte's and I have FINALLY "borrowed" a camera from my work and gotten some pics.  Whats the consensus??

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
Just a little wood glue applied with a small paint brush. Try not to get any on the "accordion" portion of the surround.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
Wood glue might be a little too stiff.  I've used Elmer's mixed with a little water with great results.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
Oh yeah, that's very minor.   When you said "a hole", I pictured missing paper.   If you brush the glue carefully on the inside of the seam, that can be nearly invisibly repaired.   No need for a patch or tissue paper.   Definitely wont affect function.   No way I would buy a new PR for that issue.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »
I still prefer Aileens Craft Glue for this type of repair.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
Ok so just take the screws out of the front of the PR and drop it down out of the cabinet.  Im assuming the wires are long enough to allow it to come out a little bit.  Then brush some kind of glue on the inside of the speaker cone, and not the speaker's suspension coil.  Thats it?  Once its dry and everything can I push them to their full potential without worry?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Ok so just take the screws out of the front of the PR and drop it down out of the cabinet.  Im assuming the wires are long enough to allow it to come out a little bit.

Boy, are you going to be in for a surprise.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
what do u mean?  No play in the wire to pull it out?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Because it's passive, there are no wires attached to it.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »
oh ya wtf am i saying

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
wow -- embarrassing -- is there any adhesive or anything like a gasket that could tear easily?  Any trick I need to know before I attempt it?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
It should pop out pretty easily. You might have to pry a little bit, just be careful and take your time.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »
Ok cool im excited to do this.  Not that this is ridiculously involved, but I never really had a knack at working on stuff so its a good opportunity for me to get better.  For instance I blew the speaker in a guitar amplifier I had and had to take it to a repair shop to get replaced.  I feel like I should be starting to be able to do this kind of stuff on my own.  Ill let u know how it turns out.