Author Topic: Auto reverse tape deck  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Auto reverse tape deck
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
I just picked up a pretty nice auto-reverse double cassette deck (Teac W990-RX), and it sounds much better playing in the "reverse" direction than normal play. Why is that? Is it something that can be corrected?

Thanks,
Sparky
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Auto reverse tape deck
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
Hi Sparky. Pretty typical of auto reverse decks though it is normally the opposite. Head alignment and azimuth are hard to keep perfect in both directions

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
mamacita,  you bought a double decker WITH auto reverse and you want the azimuth to be perfect in both directions?  get the manual for the 990RX from hifiengine, it is similar.  adjust the FWD azimuth by ear (I can record a ref 10khz tone like the manual says but your ear will do fine - I suspect Anders uses his ears 90% of the time  ;D).  See pic attached.

Anders

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
You suspect correctly but my ears have alot of experience.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
Ok, cool. Hopefully there is a way to get the drawer off but still play the tape. I assume the adjustment is done while a tape is playing?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
Definitely - yes.  The head has to be aligned with the direction the tape plays.    In a really bad azimuth you can see that the head is out of alignment by eye,  but the true final adj has to done with a tape in. 

Anders

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
pull off front of cassette door then there should be a hole for adjusting the head.
rotating heads are the worst design i've seen.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
When my head is misaligned I either go to the chiropractor or the urologist.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
So, is it worth diving into? The deck demands a decent amount on epay. I could sell it as is and get something else. I like it, but if it's going to be a huge headache, I'll get rid of it. There's no point in having an auto reverse deck if it only sounds good in one direction.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
It seems if the head rotates, there should be a way to get it adjusted to end up tracking close to the same each way.  If it holds over time and use is another matter.  I suggest a drop of nail polish on the adjustment screw once you get it set where you want it.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
I agree - get rid of that POS deck w DBX noise reduction.  I will recycle it for ya!   
Just adjust the azimuth man - it should not be too much of a deal.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 10:45:23 PM »
When my head is misaligned I either go to the chiropractor or the urologist.

Tip your waitresses.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
I agree - get rid of that POS deck w DBX noise reduction.  I will recycle it for ya!   
Just adjust the azimuth man - it should not be too much of a deal.

Trade you for an MR-whatever Nak ;D

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
Wait for a few days - I am working on a hardened up MR 3 header.  Replacing the idler tire with a gear that should last forever (forever = until they motor dies).   If I get it done will let you borrow it and get your feedback.