Author Topic: Main system  (Read 3726 times)

Offline GWH

• FNG !!!
Main system
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
Sansui 6060, Technics SL-D20, Wharfedale W60D's and Wharfedale W70D's

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Main system
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
You've got some nice equipment!  We like pics!!  What kind of music do you like?
Carl

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
4 Cerwin Vega D9's each one bridged on 4 Carver M500T's, Carver CT-7 pre , Carver Cassette player ,Thorens Turntable and a Technics cd 111 disk changer

Offline GWH

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
Pic's are posted. I am in to 60's- present rock, blues, some children's (for my 1 year old) some country.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
Looks nice!!!!  :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline GWH

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
I would love to recap the wharfies with PIO caps, but i have no experience and am a little nervous. I plan on working on a pair of KLH 6 to get a start on. Any words of advice?

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 01:13:42 AM »
I recapped a set of Advent NLAs.  Not a good idea.  Mine came out OK but slightly brighter.  I have some other caps
in mind for a recap.  Google the subject extensively.  Modern film caps have very different ESR compared to old
electrolytics.  Thats were film cap restorations can go wrong.  Almost everyone states that the recap brought out details,
air, sparkle, etc...I suspect that they are just hearing a "brighter" version of their original speakers.  On the flip side...old caps can degrade and shift to a much higher ESR and can make speakers sound dull and lifeless.  They are many opinions on which cap to use.  Prices can reach hundreds of dollars.  Many like the paper in oil (PIO) caps.  Old Russian PIO seem to be popular. I would steer clear of old NOS caps though.  They could be out of spec as well.  Obligatto seem to get good reviews and have a reasonable price point.  Beware of those KLH 6 tweeters too.  They are fragile. I had a ton of KLH speakers...replaced a few   tweeters. The solid magnet wire tends to break where it connects to the paper cone.  I never recapped any of my KLH speakers. They were voiced on the "polite" side to begin with....very east coast sound.  You would be surprised on how many
"audiophile approved" speakers use plain old electrolytic caps.  Pennies for the small values and maybe a few bucks for the
larger MFD caps.  Then again many audiophiles would immediately hate their very own gear if they ever took the covers off and realized that the manufactures used some Radio Shack quality parts in critical areas.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Then again many audiophiles would immediately hate their very own gear if they ever took the covers off and realized that the manufactures used some Radio Shack quality parts in critical areas.

QFT!

Offline GWH

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Well my system has changed dramatically. It is now as we speak a Sansui FU-5080 TT with Empire 280 cart, Marantz 2220, KLH model 6,and Wharfedale W70D's. The KLH's turned out great I recapped them about a month ago and really am digging the sound.

Offline GWH

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
KLH 6's

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »
The sixes displaced my Spica SC-50s.   I liked the sixes, which were displaced by twenty-threes which were displaced by my current Technics SB-L200s.   I am curious to see what will displace those.

Anders

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
I still have my Spica SC-50's.
nothing displaces anything but is a compliment to my collection.