Author Topic: Speaker Placement / Room Arrangement  (Read 6964 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Speaker Placement / Room Arrangement
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Ill mess around with it and let you know my results when I fig out the best set up

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
RnR, check out this website: Here

George Cardas well accomplished audiophile and businessman.  He room setup calculator is a great tool to use when considering speaker placement.  Good luck!
Carl

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
It should be noted that few of us live in optimum listen room configurations.  Compromises will probably me made.  A worthwhile investmate is to buy the software, microphones, etc. to perform room sweeps, make the plots and find out where the null conditions are in your room (a $200 - $300 investment, consider a group buy and shared ownership).  You can chose to rearrange equipment and furnture, run the tests again and the decide on a course of action.  I like the use of acoustic panels to tame some of the problems.  EQ, can help as Klaus noted.  I tend to avoid adding another component in the signal chain.  I am not saying EQs can't help, but they will not solve all problems.  And again it's a matter of taste.  The newer receivers with the Audacy software do a good job in few places that I have heard them.

Most folks on this forum, from what I have observed do not take room measuremts when setting up their room.  Many are too quick to add a sub, or flip and amp, or add an EQ.  I suggest trying to determine the room acoustics, study, understand them and evaluate options for making room corrections.

Good luck!
Carl

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »
Put them in a closet, step inside, and turn it up. I guarantee you will miss nothing. You will feel like you are in the music!!!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
I have a similar layout. Right now I have the drivers flanking the couch on the wall opposing the steps.

HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »
The tree is useful for dampening the glass?

Anders

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
perfect setup for a big hole in the middle of your soundstage.
I know alot of people can't do it but speakers should be away from the walls and with nothing between them.

I used to sell and setup expensive stereo equipment.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Tree placement is not avoidable. My wife insisted on its location.
After the holidays the couch will go in front of the window and that will open the space between the speakers... Unless my wife finds a piece of furniture she likes.   :(
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »
Tree is perfect then - do not mess with the tree.  Comment on how the tree makes everything sound better.   >:D

SunnyDaze

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
Is this what I have to look forward to when I get married? How sad is is that we've passed on 2 houses due to a lack of a proper audio friendly basement (even though I tell her that it's for other reasons)? :)

Experiment, move stuff around, and above all, appease your significant other. :) When a particular arrangement sounds good to you, then that's the arrangement that works.  Don't put too much stock in to what's ideal or not. There are optimal setups out there that sound sub par and oddball setups that sound fantastic. And everything in between.

Anders

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
The house i'm in is crap for a stereo system.
My best speakers have just been sitting in the basement since i moved here.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Still moving some stuff around.  Anders I had met you at the shop the one day and remember you saying that ab ur speakers.  8 watts, no need to take into consideration any kind of WAF or anything like that  :laugh:

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
Here are some actual pics of my listening space/speaker placement.   You can compare them to the floor plan I made on the 1st page.  If the real pics give u a better feel free to give me some advice.  Thanks

bmwr75

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Here's my advice, read the Cardas link Carl posted earlier and follow it as closely as your room allows.

http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=2545.msg24041#msg24041

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »
Here's my advice, read the Cardas link Carl posted earlier and follow it as closely as your room allows.

http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=2545.msg24041#msg24041

The Golden Ratio is magic.  There are a variety of room geometries.  Find one similiar to yours and try to arrange your setup to the suggested arrangement.
Carl