Author Topic: Stax Headspeakers SR-5 or SR-5 Gold? Pair with the SRD-6 or SRD-X?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
  I am new to he audiophile hobby and I would like to request your assistance with getting information regarding a set of electrostatic cans and their corresponding energizer.  8 Watts started me off by pointing me in the direction of SR-5's paired with SRD-6 energizer used, which should go for less than $200 which is in my budget range.  I hunted around and found a used pair of SR-5 Gold in excellent condition.  I am not quite sure what the major differences are and what a fair market price is either.  Is the SR-5 Gold significantly better in quality?

Similar question regarding the SRD-6 vs. the SRD-X.  I heard that the SRD-X is harder to find and has the advantage of also being portable and battery powered for traveling.  Is it worth paying  $350 plus for both the SR-5 Gold and the SRD-X or should I stay with the SR-5 and the SRD-6 energizer?

Thanks.

Happy Christmas,
Padre E.T.

SunnyDaze

Re: Stax Headspeakers SR-5 or SR-5 Gold? Pair with the SRD-6 or SRD-X?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
Why would you use Stax as portable cans?  ??? Given their rarity and how fragile they tend to be, I would HIGHLY advise against this. The SRD-6 and SRD-X both perform the same task. Both provide a 230V potential to the associated ear speakers. The SRD-X has a bit more capacitance due to the internal battery, but, this has no effect on sound quality.

The SR-5 "gold" is nothing more than the SR-5N. The specifications on the SR-5 and SR-5N are identical. Frequency response, bias voltage, max SPL, all the same. If you can get the SR-5 cheaper, then by all means, do so.

Sorry I forgot to reply to your last PM. I do that, sometimes.  :(|)

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »
  No worries Elijah.  How many people track so many things on even one forum is quite an amazing feat to me.  I can barely track a couple of threads on one forum.  Thanks for your feedback.

Would you say that a good deal for the SR-5 (gold / "N" or not) and the SRD-6  or SRD-X is under $200?  That fits my budget range better too ;-)  Is a SR-5 Gold in good condition by itself worth $200-225 used.  I can patiently wait for the next deal to pass my way.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »
If I were you I'd hold out. You'll be able to pick up a clean SR-5 / SRD-6 combo on ePay for ~$150-ish.

If you are in a huge hurry to hear a set and you're ever up near Uniontown, get at me.

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »
No hurry here to buy anything per se; just did not want to let a good price go by.  Thank you for the invitation to listen the Stax SR-5 & SRD-6 when I am in your neighborhood.  Are you near Uniontown, PA, south of Pittsburgh?  I am planning a trip early next year to check out some gear from Stephen at Vintage Hi-Fi.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
Yeah. I'm 15 minutes north of Uniontown.

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
Thanks 8 Watts, it would good to meet you and to demo your Stax SR-5's.  Happy Christmas!