Author Topic: Shittiest sounding system  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Shittiest sounding system
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
I was surprised at how good pbj's sounded.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
i guess they'd make a better raft than natalie wood
What wood doesn't float???   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
I have a rack or two of Mac if you want to take a listen.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
  I heard the Bose 901's at the local Hi-Fi store when I was in college.  They were outstanding and raised the bar for me of what a good sound speaker system could be.  As a college student with just enough extra money to have food and play some video games for entertainment, I foolishly spent what little money I had to spare on a pair of Bose Roommates which were very distant cousins to the Bose 301's and an early Sony portable CD player.  Best small portable speakers and a handful of CD's in a portable player that I could not quite afford made listening to music wonderful.  Almost twenty years later my Bose Roommates bit the dust.  So from where I was listening in college, you have the untouchable mac daddy Bose 901 speakers system.  "Music is in the ear of the hearer."
  In a way, we may be in the same "boat," as I am upgrading my system from a Geneva Sound System which may be the modern day equivalent of your Bose 901's, but my system is almost unheard of and unseen.   Now, I am looking into a vintage analog tube amp and pre-amp, and electrostatic speakers with help from the gang here on the forum, but of course still on a small budget.  The adventure begins.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »
Electrostatic speakers are usually inefficient.

Vintage tube amplifiers typically do not produce much power. Suppose you have an amplifier that is capable of 25 watts maximum output. Now suppose you purchase a set of Martin Logan reQuest electrostats, which are 90dB efficient for 1 watt input at a distance of 1 meter. At 2 watts, you'd be get 93dB output. at 4 watts, you'd get 96 dB, and so on. Each time you double the power, you increase the output by 3 dB. When you have peaks in your program and your amplifier is producing 25 watts, you'd have a max SPL of about 103 dB.

I'm not trying to spoil your goal, but, if your aim is to run electrostats you may be better off with a modern tube amplifier as they tend to produce more power.

Offline Padre E.T. AMDG

• FNG !!!
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »
Being new, I left out the new system details about Sunfire loudspeakers and part about electrostatic "head speakers" (Stax).  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »
i guess they'd make a better raft than natalie wood
What wood doesn't float???   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kenwood and Sherwood
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
What about Sherwood Forest?  & Robinwood, I mean Robinhood!   ???
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

SunnyDaze

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Ronnie Wood definitely floats.