Author Topic: Audio Geeks meeting 2/1/14  (Read 29369 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Audio Geeks meeting 2/1/14
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
Hosting an Audio Geeks meeting at my home  Saturday night  Feb 1st...  send me a PM and I'll provide the address. I live south in McMurray/ Peters Twp.

Please bring music or media to play/ share etc ! And you are welcome to test / bring equipment to plug into system #2 ....

I have two systems; system #1 is a pretty good (IMHO) 7.2 surround sound system with a very nice ClearAudio turntable/ cartridge, a decent Technics 770 CD player and a Bluray.... it can also accept Apple media players. No additions or switch outs to this one please.... tweak away though and bring any albums, CDs, videos etc to put it through its paces! I think you'll be surprised at how musical it is and movies are just awesome.  You are welcome to roll tubes through the Jolida JD9 phono pre-amp...  Marantz SR6005, KEF mains/ center and rear surrounds, Dalquist DQ-20s for side surrounds and an HSU VTF15 subwoofer.

System#2   Have at it!...  very nice 7.1 surround sound receiver with pre-outs, an OK Thorens 318 turntable, dbx dx5 CD player and Denon 3 head cassette deck and cheap bluray player.  I've had a blast starting to build this system...  Marantz SR6007 receiver, vintage Harman Kardon Fifty main speakers and NHT SuperOne surrounds all around w/ DIY subwoofer...

I'll have a Spin Clean record cleaner set up.

Also, if you want a copy of the radio station play list (MP3 format) I have, bring a .5 gig drive... it will take a few hours to copy!

Bring something to drink if you can...  good beer is always appreciated!

I have about 700 albums and a few CDs and cassettes....

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bearjew

Re: Audio Geeks meeting 2/1/14
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
count me in!  i'll PM you later.  definitely bringing something to check out the clearaudio!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
Does system 1 have DVD-A?   DTS?   I have a couple things you should hear.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Sorry, I read system one and assumed the other would be two channel.   Does either one have DVD-A or DTS?

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
PM sent

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Actually, both systems have full DTS and both are 7.2/ 7.1 surround respectively.  I have not tried to play a DVD- A on either system.

System #1 LG 690 bluray player should be able to handle anything....

System #2 cheap VISIO bluray player:
Your player can play CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVD-RWs,
and DVD-Rs recorded with UDF or ISO9660 format.
 Writeable DVDs (DVD-RW, DVD-R) must be
finalized (VR mode only).
 Your player supports AVCHD playback on
writeable media (DVD±R, DVD±RW) only.
Supported file extensions
 .mp3 (high bit-rate or variable bit-rate .mp3 files
may not play back correctly)
.jpeg
.jpg
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
You are welcome to play either system in any mode (direct, stereo, surround etc) with any media you can play or bring/ patch cord in... both receivers have a great many inputs and out puts. I would prefer though that you not patch amps into system #1....I really don't want to mess with reconnecting those speakers and shifting everything around etc....    And yfou care welcome to tweak away with any settings etc  except the Audyssey profile and channel levels in system #1.... FYI system #1 uses a Marantz SR6005 and #2 uses a Marantz SR6007.... 

System #2 you are welcome to change any settings and add anything you would like (including amps lol) ....it is easily accessible.. might want to bring appropriate patch cords/ hdmi etc with the equipment...    It is also hooked directly to my computer so anything you want / need to hook to that is good to go also.... 

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:10:06 AM »
Greetings Jim!

Thanks for offering to host such an event.  I will have a better idea of my schedule in a couple of weeks.  I hope that I can make it.  Thanks again!

Carl
Carl

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
Just an FYI, I've hosted two previous winter time " music/ vinyl" nights at the house.... and I've also invited those attendees...   I think you'll really enjoy my diverse group of friends, all of whom enjoy music and tend to bring some very good and interesting things to listen to. As sent:

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
pdf format

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
I like it that Jim allows cassettes and excludes disco and country music.   That works!

O0 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
I can only assume that Jim isn't listening to the right Country and Disco.   Both genres have good and bad (though admittedly a lot more bad than good, still the good is there).

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
I can only assume that Jim isn't listening to the right Country and Disco.   Both genres have good and bad (though admittedly a lot more bad than good, still the good is there).

True that.. but they are often enough real 'dividers' genre-wise.  It's be a lot dicey proposition, in my book, if he was looking at Rock, Jazz, Country and Disco!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »

True that.. but they are often enough real 'dividers' genre-wise.  It's be a lot dicey proposition, in my book, if he was looking at Rock, Jazz, Country and Disco!

I agree also, but it will come down to personal taste in either of those genres.
Carl

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »
 You guys are too funny lol!   If you want, we can have a country and disco night..... just not this one night! maybe in the Spring or Summer.... 

Personally I like Jazz, Blues, Rock, Motown, Alternative....  throw in a little Blue Grass maybe a bit of folk.. even some classical and Latin music.
I lived through disco and survived, even bartended at a huge mega popular place (lots of stories that the wife has never heard) ... but once was enough lol and just never acquired a taste for country, although I admire some of the voices and skills... I do like to hear a bit of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson once in a while though.