Author Topic: Measuring amp output levels  (Read 2941 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Measuring amp output levels
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »
I have an embarrassing question
How do I measure the wattage output levels of my amps

With 530 watts bridge mono for each main, I'm a bit concerned if I'm over-driving my 150 watt rated speakers

With no other indicators other then Led's for output and clipping, I am at a loss as to what kind of power my speakers are receiving.

I've enclosed a pic of something called "output monitor".  It's a 1/4" jack in the right front of each amp. Is there something I can plug in to it that will tell me in real time just what is being put out.

I've even enclosed a picture
Thanx in advance...
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

SunnyDaze

Re: Measuring amp output levels
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »
You most likely aren't. Just because an amplifier is rated at 530W does not mean it's putting out that amount of power.

When your preamp volume pot is set at zero, your amplifier produces 0 watts. As you increase the volume pot on the preamp, the amount of power produced by the amplifier will increase proportionally until clipping.

You'd be VERY surprised how little power it takes to fill a room with sound. The VU meters on my 504 are hardly ever over 15 watts. At 50 watts things become disturbingly loud. I couldn't imagine a full 165 continuous watts. I wouldn't want to be in that room.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:27:17 AM »
Agreed.  There are a couple of other factors to consider.  The speakers rated efficiency and listening distance will contribute to required power.  My speakers are rated at 88db efficiency measured at 4 ohms and one meter, driven at two watts.  (Since it's a 4 ohm spec, the equivalent sensitivity at 8 ohms is 85 db at one watt input).  My listening position is about 12 feet away and power requirements at a given spl double for roughly every additional meter distance from the speakers. I need about 97 db output at the speaker to achieve the stated 88 db efficiency cited in the speakers specs when sitting in my sweet spot. Wattage doubles with every 3 db increase in SPL, so in my sweet spot, I need 16 watts of power output to achieve the rated 88 db in the specs.

88 db is relatively loud, but life like rock n roll spl often exceeds 100 db at live venues.  The 12 db spread from 88 to 100 db requires a four fold increase in output power, or in my case, 256 watts to achieve when compared to the 88 db at one meter spec.  I was not happy driving my system with a 100 watt amp.  However, 100 db is also almost painfully loud (as is some live rock n roll).
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:12:58 AM »
I agree with you both.
Now can someone tell me how I can measure the wattage?
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Dicky

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »
The last 2 pictures of this will explain all that I think you are after for measuring, including how to calculate the results. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-1050-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-Just-WOW-/161102782105?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2582795e99

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
There's an easy answer here.  Fuse your speakers for their maximum power handling capacity.

See chart below for a rough estimate.  Use SLO-BLO fuses.

TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
8wof...question.If you are looking at true VU meters and not actual power meters how do you easily calculate the wattage. My Phase Linear has nice huge VU meters but unless I use a slide rule they really only tell me volume in relation to the variable output.  I do have a separate LED meter. Of course the VU meters don't dance much unless nobody is home and I can crank it up!  Any simple solution?

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »
To answer the OP's question about measuring amp output:

Measuring Output Power

To remove the effects of the speaker, amplifier manufacturers use a pure resistive load attached to the output of the amplifier when measuring power. Unlike this resistive load, the impedance of a speaker varies with frequency. Speakers are referred to by their “nominal” impedance, usually 4, or 8 ohms. Amp makers must also select a single frequency to measure power at, since the response of the amp varies with frequency. The generally accepted frequency to measure the power of a guitar amplifier is 1kHz, a round number and roughly in the middle of the amplifier’s response (100Hz to 10kHz - 1kHz is in the middle logarithmically).

Here is the procedure used to measure the output power of the amplifiers:

-Connect an 8Ω resistive load to the output of the amplifier (Ω is the symbol for ohms)
    -Apply 1kHz test tone to the input of the power amp
    -Adjust the input voltage so the power amp is just prior to break up
   -Measure the output voltage across the resistive load with an RMS meter
   -Compute the RMS power by squaring the measured voltage and dividing by 8Ω
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs