Author Topic: Whats under your skirt  (Read 2155 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Whats under your skirt
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »
Had to move out the amp rack to make some changes so I snapped a pic

Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline GraphicFX

Re: Whats under your skirt
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
So here's the pic
Main system

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
that looks good,  I think Rev would approve (not that that is worth crap,  by the way,  the man has obsessive compulsive issues).  I would never show what is under my skirt here,  I would not hear the end of it. 

on a related note,  as good and neat as what is under your skirt looks,  I have always been of the belief that coiling cables like that and zip tie-ing them can lead to weird noise being introduced as emi - electromagnetic interference (hence the mess under my skirt).  you do not seem to have run into problems like that?

The Hum-master

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Actually, coiling would reduce hum as the field causing the interference would (in theory, anyway) hit one part of the coil in phase and another part of the coil out of phase.   This would cause cancellation similar to what happens in a balanced cable.   Of course, like any "antenna", the tuning affects how well or poorly the cancellation happens.

With a straight cable, it is either positioned so that there is minimal interference (90 degree angle at any intersection) or maximum interference (run parallel).   This is much more predictable, but sometimes difficult to accomplish in real world situations.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »

on a related note,  as good and neat as what is under your skirt looks,  I have always been of the belief that coiling cables like that and zip tie-ing them can lead to weird noise being introduced as emi - electromagnetic interference (hence the mess under my skirt).  you do not seem to have run into problems like that?

The Hum-master

Are you kidding, My pre (mixer) is so dirty sounding, an emi hum would be a welcome improvement.  I'm slowly collecting short matched sets of interconnects.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:04:53 PM by Rest lame brats »
Main system