Author Topic: Dahlquist DQ-10 D'Appolito  (Read 5227 times)

bearjew

Dahlquist DQ-10 D'Appolito
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
I'm selling these for a friend. It is two pairs of Dahlquist DQ-10's in a D'Appolito configuration. All the speakers are rebuilt, and the configuration is physically assembled very well; super sturdy.  He made custom grills that velcro to the speakers.

The price is $1600 OBO

bmwr75

Re: Dahlquist DQ-10 D'Appolito
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
Does stacking speakers like this sound better than a single set of the same speakers properly set up in the room?  I've never heard stacked speakers, some am asking for feedback from those that have......not the normal peanut gallery.   :'(

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
2....2...2 nuts in 1.......
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »
Does stacking speakers like this sound better than a single set of the same speakers properly set up in the room?  I've never heard stacked speakers, some am asking for feedback from those that have......not the normal peanut gallery.   :'(

Yes they do.    The key is the D'Appolito effect. some manufacturers build this into their designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_D%27Appolito
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:18:32 PM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
I'm sure they sound amazing... but that it THE single craziest spesaker I've ever seem....  the Jackson Pollack-Rube Goldberg-Heironymos Bosch speaker!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
@bmwr75, the D'Appolito configuration is actually really common.  I think all Acoustic Zen speakers feature a D'Appolito configuration.  I won't pretend to know technically what it does, but I feel like these image way better than just a pair of DQ-10's, and they obviously get more volume.

@RuralTom, yeah, they're a little nuts looking haha.  I think he built the grills so his wife would let him keep them.  If you crack the grill off a DQ-10, that's what it looks like too.  They definitely didn't try to make them pretty haha, but I guess that's what grills are for.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »
@bmwr75, the D'Appolito configuration is actually really common.  I think all Acoustic Zen speakers feature a D'Appolito configuration.  I won't pretend to know technically what it does, but I feel like these image way better than just a pair of DQ-10's, and they obviously get more volume.

@RuralTom, yeah, they're a little nuts looking haha.  I think he built the grills so his wife would let him keep them.  If you crack the grill off a DQ-10, that's what it looks like too.  They definitely didn't try to make them pretty haha, but I guess that's what grills are for.

It is all good, BJ, again... I bet they sound spectacular!  I wish I could hear everybody's rig here, all the permutations. 
Spendor FL9

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »
I wanna know what yer 'secret speakers' are.....
Spendor FL9

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »
FYI...  In many Pro Sound applications they also do this set up...  Having the tweeters "stacked" in the middle... (aka - placing one speaker on another)  I'm guessing they would sound great!  Sorry, too big for my use and too $$$ also!   :)

Hope you sell soon...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »
This brings back fond memories of two stacked systems I ran back in the day as they say.  First were stacked large Advents (tweeter to tweeter) and then stacked Mac XR-5's.  I was certainly not the first or only person to stack Advents, in fact the dealer might have demo'd them that way in the store.  The Macs were designed with stacking in mind and could be partially disassembled and put back together as a single system of two or even three pairs. 

The stacked systems always sounded better to me.  The upper systems eliminated low frequency floor bounce, power handling increased and SPL went up (as previously noted).  Image suffered a bit with the Macs, but image wasn't their strength anyway.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

BB3

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
Excellent work BearJew. My cousin Geary did the same setup with his DQ-10's, per the knowledge spilled upon him from Tom(OCCD).

His Dahlquist setup,along with the combination of Audio Research and Sunfire gear sure is impressive. You should have no problem getting that price for your speakers BearJew, simply because they're worth it.

The question that I would like to ask you is, should you even be selling them in the first place ? ???

All My Best, Bill

bearjew

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
I wanna know what yer 'secret speakers' are.....

In due time, all will be revealed ;)

Excellent work BearJew. My cousin Geary did the same setup with his DQ-10's, per the knowledge spilled upon him from Tom(OCCD).

His Dahlquist setup,along with the combination of Audio Research and Sunfire gear sure is impressive. You should have no problem getting that price for your speakers BearJew, simply because they're worth it.

The question that I would like to ask you is, should you even be selling them in the first place ? ???

All My Best, Bill

The guy that owns them upgraded to new speakers and asked me to help him sell these.  I think he's just trying to keep a balance on the money end; he just bought two new sets of speakers.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
This brings back fond memories of two stacked systems I ran back in the day as they say.  First were stacked large Advents (tweeter to tweeter) I was certainly not the first or only person to stack Advents, in fact the dealer might have demo'd them that way in the store.

The stacked systems always sounded better to me.  The upper systems eliminated low frequency floor bounce, power handling increased and SPL went up (as previously noted).  Image suffered a bit with the Macs, but image wasn't their strength anyway.

Ah!  Stacked Advents, the original lease breaker!

Stacked speakers had a way of sounding better.  Even if the speakers were not identical, or not great speakers to begin with.  I think that is what made stacking popular is that you got a fuller, dynamic sound.  Image was not great as you noted.  For some people image don't matter.  I'm personally not in that camp.
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
I think speaker technology has advanced considerably since "back in the day" (my memories go back well over 30 years) and stacking no longer offers the benefits described when compared to modern speaker designs.  It does occur to me that stacking emulated the notion of a line source array, if the stack was tall enough.  It may also be that we simply had a ton of fun cranking tunes and consuming who knows what to excess-that bigger and louder was better. 

I sure wouldn't mind trying stacked Advents again, even if only for a weekend and if for no other reason than to learn if they really sounded as good as I recall.  I do agree that my current system images far better (and has lower distortion, wider frequency response and more powerful dynamic range, etc.)
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Anders

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
When I worked at Let's Make Music I got to hear alot of high-end speakers but one day I listened to a pair of original Large Advents I just repaired and was surprised at how full and natural they sounded compared to all the new speakers.
The old Advents lacked the sparkle of detail in the highs new speakers had but they made up for it by sounding warmer and fuller.
New speakers just seemed to be lacking bottom end.