Author Topic: Dahlquist DQ-10 D'Appolito  (Read 5228 times)

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Dahlquist DQ-10 D'Appolito
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 07:05:04 PM »
MG  Most new speakers are designed stacked with the drivers.  It is viable for older speakers. Any speaker design that has  midwoofers over and under a tweeter counts.  Most speakers are designed that way now.  It gives new prospective on older speakers.  I did the over under large advents before and the result was incredible
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
I'll be the odd man out.....my experience with stacked speakers is no good.  Sure they play louder.  But its nothing more than a huge wall of disconnected sound.  I' ve stacked klh, advents, several diy,  even mixed and matched sets.  In every case the soundstage was blown to hell. 

there was an odd balance to the sound. It was no longer a pin point source but more of a big, fat, incohesive blend of sources.

Sorry..but yuk.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
at, you don't have to be the odd man out.   I'm a loved of single point coaxial speakers, so, OTOH, the idea of that many drivers doesn't appeal to me.   OTOH, I see the benefit of the configuration as being similar to the benefit of coaxial.   Almost as if the woofer on the top and bottom are creating one huge woofer with the stacked tweeters being the center high frequency point.

That said, it's all just theory because I've never owned four of the same speaker to try stacking them.

bearjew

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
I think a lot of it just comes down to preference.  Obviously the configuration provides a different sound, but whether or not is bed is more or less up to you.  What little experience I do have with D'Appolito's sounded really good, and I was actually really close to pulling the trigger on Acoustic Zen Adagios, which (like most AZ speakers) utilizes a D'Appolito configuration.  I went another direction for reasons yet to be declared, but they're supposed to be brilliant speakers.  I know that Celestion made speakers like mine but with a D'Appolito configuration too.  I do know that these DQ-10's sound really good though, and based on all the work that went into making them sound this good, they're easily worth the price.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
Bearjew...I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to imply these particular speakers sound bad.  I've read that the DQ10s stack nicely.  As you mentioned it is a personal preference.  I myself just don't click with stacked speakers.  Back to your friends sale....he might consider unstacking them and selling them on eBay.  In typical eBay fashion the final price is all over the place but I saw one set over 800 dollars.  Try Audiogon too.  I remember first hearing them.  They made a huge impression on me.  As a matter of fact the two most lasting impressions I have from any speakers are the DQ-10s and the Spica TC-50....you wanna know why?  They are both phase correct, time aligned speakers.  Nearly every speaker I've owned since then have been time aligned, phase correct speakers.  That's an area I am sensitive too and why stacked speakers don't click for me.
That's another soap box for another day.  Best of luck with the sale.