Author Topic: Polk SDA-1a Pair  (Read 8229 times)

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Polk SDA-1a Pair
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
I have for sale a pair of Polk Audio SDA-1a speakers. These are the first of the SDA line, a matched L/R serial pair.

Their current condition:
These are electronically intact, you can listen to them doing their thing and they'll do it happily. I have made an interconnect cable out of speaker wire, it's not original but it does the same job.
The cabinets could definitely use a refresh, and the grill fabric could use replacement as well as it looks like a cat got to it, there's no tears but it is frayed. The bases have some water damage, but they are very sturdy still, and this hasn't continued to the rest of the speaker at all. There are some scratches and stains on the top as well.

Price: $450 As-is or...

I'm also offering refinishing services on these speakers, where I'll sand down the veneer and refinish it in your choice of stain / sealant, as well as replace the grill fabric. Price of the refurbish service will be $150, bringing the total up to $600.

I'm located in Morgantown, which I know is a bit of a trip for many of you guys, but these are worth it.

I didn't try to dress these up at all for the pictures, what you see is what you get. If you want any additional pictures feel free to ask.

Offline AdamG

Re: Polk SDA-1a Pair
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Additionally I may be interested in trades or partial trades. I'll take a look at pretty much anything. I'm not picky but I'd like an amplifier or receiver with power/vu meters, the bigger the meters the better.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
I like the spare fuse holders.  All speakers should have spare fuse holders.

Good luck with your sale!
Got Carver?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
I'm not picky but I'd like an amplifier or receiver with power/vu meters, the bigger the meters the better.

Sounds to me like you want an Onkyo Integra M-504 or M-508.

Next to the warm glow of tubes, the big green VU meters on the Integra amps is hypnotic as it gets.

Offline AdamG

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
I'm not picky but I'd like an amplifier or receiver with power/vu meters, the bigger the meters the better.

Sounds to me like you want an Onkyo Integra M-504 or M-508.

Next to the warm glow of tubes, the big green VU meters on the Integra amps is hypnotic as it gets.

Yeah, those are the ticket alright. A tube pre would be very nice, but chances of finding a decent one in the budget here are tight.

I'm running an Onkyo TX-4500 Mk2 as my receiver, so another piece of Onkyo gear would be a nice match.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
Being patient and persistent is the key to acquiring tube gear.

I'd suggest you build your own preamp, but, I don't imagine you have the time if you're going into your senior year. Wait until grad school when you don't even have time to properly take a sh!t in the morning.  >:D

Offline AdamG

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
Being patient and persistent is the key to acquiring tube gear.

I'd suggest you build your own preamp, but, I don't imagine you have the time if you're going into your senior year. Wait until grad school when you don't even have time to properly take a sh!t in the morning.  >:D

I'm actually off this semester, so I've been eyeballing a few preamp kits. Maybe if someone were to buy these Polks I could afford one!  ;)

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
I'm sure someone will eventually bite on them. Best of luck with the sale!

Offline AdamG

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
I'd actually like to refinish them, but I don't want to refinish them to a stain that would put off buyers. They're not doing me any harm where they are, but they deserve a better life in someone's living room rather than my speaker room!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
I sent AdamG a PM about his price, but no response, so it's time for an on forum reality check.

I'm sure someone will eventually bite on them   

Not at that price..........not even close to that price.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline AdamG

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
I sent AdamG a PM about his price, but no response, so it's time for an on forum reality check.

I'm sure someone will eventually bite on them   

Not at that price..........not even close to that price.

Not to use Ebay as a prime example of pricing, but the most recent pair of these in similar condition sold for over $300 with $200 shipping in very similar condition.

Your valuation at $150 was quite frankly ridiculous.

These are the first of the SDA series, the originals. You're not going to see an all-original pair of these any time soon, and they are fabulous speakers.

And as always, there is leeway in the pricing, it's not set in stone, and allowing partial trades makes it potentially even better for buyers.

When was the last time you got a pair of speakers entirely refinished to your taste? Who even offers these services for reasonable rates?

These are absolutely worth what I'm asking for someone who wants a pair. There's a pair of the SDA-2s on Pitt CL as we speak for even more money!

If you want them you can make an offer, if you're just deflating them because you don't like them, why bother?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
Adam, I learned one thing early. Don't argue with F1. He gives good advice and he's very knowledgeable. If he took the time to contact you, he did so for a reason. Tact may not be his forte, but, the man knows his Polk gear, among other things.

Hell, he may even give me shit for sticking up for him.  >:D

Offline AdamG

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
After looking over the speakers as if I'm buying them, picking them apart, I'm going to drop the price to 350 as-is, 500 with the refurb. One of the fuse holders is cracked and dosn't fit in just perfectly, although it does contact and function just fine. And not having the original interconnect doesn't help either. If I were to purchase them I'd want to replace the wood on the base, so I took off some for that as well.

Let me know if you're interested.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »
Not to use Ebay as a prime example of pricing, but the most recent pair of these in similar condition sold for over $300 with $200 shipping in very similar condition. 

If you think you can get that for them, stick'em on eBay.

Your valuation at $150 was quite frankly ridiculous. 

Actually, what I said was a pair in very good condition is worth $150.00 max. Your pair aren't worth $50.00 in their condition. Here's the kicker....you'd make more money parting them out.

These are the first of the SDA series, the originals. You're not going to see an all-original pair of these any time soon, and they are fabulous speakers.   

I see them all the time, they are the lest desirable of all the SDA's.

When was the last time you got a pair of speakers entirely refinished to your taste?   

That has less appeal than you think.

Who even offers these services for reasonable rates?

Your quoted price is cheap enough to give me pause because I do it for a living and know what quality work costs.

If you want them you can make an offer, if you're just deflating them because you don't like them, why bother?

I wouldn't take them for free, thanks. It's got nothing to do with me liking them or not. It has to do with me not wanting to see one of the members here pay too much to a new guy asking way too much money. Nothing personal.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline AdamG

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
I understand none of you have seen any of my work and the doubt is reasonable. I offered the service at such a low price because I believe the speakers need it done, but I don't want to stain them a color that won't fit a potential buyer's decor.

Here's my current project for reference:
A pair of Infinity RSb I picked up a while back.

They had definitely seen better days as you can tell.
I don't replace missing veneer, so if it's gone it's gone, but I'l color match as close as possible the mdf/board underneath to the stain to make it harder to see and I'll seal it. On this project I used high-gloss poly as a protectant.

Before:

After sanding, staining, and this is 2 of 3 coats of poly, was waiting on new sandpaper for between layers to be shipped before the third/final coat.