Author Topic: Advice on tuner and antenna  (Read 4183 times)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Advice on tuner and antenna
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
Hey guys,

Currently I am using a Marantz 20B tuner.  It sounded pretty good back in Vienna but I am unable to get any quality stations with my bunny ears here in Athens, OH.  I was wondering if anyone who has more experience than I with FM radio can recommend a non-roof mounted antenna to pick up stations and if a truly high fidelity FM radio is worth it.  I know there was a radio station from Marietta Ohio that did Jazz and Classical that I loved.  The quality of sound killed my CDs.  Here I cannot get that station and am borrowing the tuner, debating on if I should or shouldn't purchase it.  All help welcomed! 
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Advice on tuner and antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
That is a very nice tuner...

Have you tried this site for more info about what FM stations you can actually get at your location? 

(I think Carl or Klaus pointed me towards it - very useful)

http://fmfool.com/

You can use it to better orient your existing antenna. 

If you are going to try better indoor antennae I recommend one of these:

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-sr100.htm

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
Here is another antenna site that may help. 

http://www.fanfarefm.com/
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
Look at the model FM6 antenna on this link:  http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasFM.html

This Yagi style antenna is directional and works best mounted on your roof outdoors pointed in the direction of the FM broadcast.  Use the http://fmfool.com link to see where stations are broadcasting from relative to your location.  Having the antenna outdoors high in the air, pointed at the broadcast search makes a HUGE difference in reception.  That Marantz 20b deserves a good antenna.
Carl

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
A quality roof mounted antenna will certainly help.  While you're at it research proper
mounting technics,  lightning protection and grounding, etc.   Even strong wings can build a static
charge on antennas (read this somewhere).  If you have a large attic you might be able to mount it
inside to alleviate some of the lightning threats.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
I have tough reception problems at my home, did some research and purchased a Terk FM Pro....  I'm pretty pleased with the reception. Using a higher grade shielded coax helped.

Love Athens BTW... I'm an alum.... we'll leave it at that... don't want to incriminate myself lol!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
A quality roof mounted antenna will certainly help.  While you're at it research proper
mounting technics,  lightning protection and grounding, etc.   Even strong wings can build a static
charge on antennas (read this somewhere).  If you have a large attic you might be able to mount it
inside to alleviate some of the lightning threats.

Good point, you must have a good grounding scheme.  If you know thunderstorms are coming.  I would disconnect the antenna.  In fact I have two separate 20 amp circuits for my audio stuff.  I open the breakers.
Carl

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
There is a Mangum Dynalab ST-2 on it's way to my house as we speak.  Reviews of this are all across the board.  I am interested to see how it works.  Anyone have experience with it?  I will write up a review once mine is all hooked up and everything.  One think I have read a bunch of times is that it is stronger in the upper frequencies, which is cool, but also somewhat disappointing because my favorite programs are the college radio and other lower freq. programs. 

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
I'll be looking forward to hear what you think, RnR.  My home reception is terrible, I need a solution and was looking at the Magnum but didn't pull the trigger yet.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Dicky

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
Anxious to hear your thoughts on that piece.  I looked at it online a few times but never pulled the trigger.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
Fanfare makes a version of their antenna tuned for the so called "college band" on the low end of the dial.  Regardless of the antenna type you employ, elevation is the key.  Mount it as high as possible.  Depending on the stations you are trying to get and their distance, a yagi as Carl recommends, with a rotor will maximize signal gain and limit multipath.  A quality signal any good tuner should allow LP or CD quality sound.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
I will be interested to hear your review.  I also gravitate towards the college stations to I will check out the Fanfare too.  I need to pay some bills before I invest in anything more at this time. 
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
The good news is a Fanefare runs about $100, a relatively cheap tweak as audio goes.