Author Topic: Some of my tube stuff  (Read 11200 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
Re: Some of my tube stuff
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
Bill,

Could not be happier.  The great thing about this hobby is finding equipment you only dreamed when new at a price you can afford now.  Working on a set of Quantum 2 ;D and run Infinity Delta 60 for rear surrounds.  Love those emit tweeters!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:50:05 PM by confused »
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

BB3

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
That Is So True, Dale. :) To Say That I'm Happy For You, Would Be An Understatement Dale.

These Plans That You Have For Surround Setup Sound Incredible, Is Going To Be Totally Devastating. :o

I'm Fired Up Right Now For You Just Thinking About It,Dale. ;D

Sincerely, BILL

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
Bill,

Actually my surround is set up IL60, IL50, 1l36c, Delta 60, and sunfire sub driven by B&k avr with Denon 3910 dvd.  The tv is a 46 inch rear projection CRT. On my IL60 I have some vintage MA tweeters called microstatics originally marketed to go on top of advent or ar.

Total power in excess of of 3kw rms! I really dont use all that power, but it is nice to have when I do rock.

Those old Infinity's are extremely difficult loads and I only run them in stereo in my basement using my GAS, Phase, and A pro amp for the woofers (not all at once, of course).  I keep all those huge speakers on 43-wheel dollies from harbor freight and move them around as my mood changes.

I often wonder how much more equipment I could possibly use.  Of course, there is always something else that catches my eye now and then, and if the price is right and the drive is <4hrs and I have the money I am still collecting!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:50:57 PM by confused »
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
How do you like your new Kappa 8's ?? I would think they would be a lot easier to drive then the 9's.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
Hi Mike,

Yes the 8's are easier to drive! ;D  Sound great on my Son of Ampzilla (60/channel@8ohms, but almost doubling @4 and quadrupling @2).

However I haven't looked inside yet and my xover is missing a switch that removes the impedance compensating Cap, so I am not sure what the actual impedance looks like.

PS;  Playing some jazz on the 800c with the Frejas.  Sound never ceases to amaze me!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:49:00 PM by confused »
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

BB3

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »
Dale, that Denon 3910 of yours, besides being a DVD player, is also one helluva a CD player, if I'm not mistaken ? How do you feel about it, Dale ?

-----BILL

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
Hi Bill,

I chose it for the DVDA and SACD capabilities.  For some reason, it has been having trouble reading CD's, but will play a digital copy.

Not a huge deal as I have a lot of CD players laying around and tend to listen to them on my other rigs.  Have thought about contacting Denon, but hate to give up the player for the time to get it fixed.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

BB3

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Dale, not that I need to tell you that it's definitely worth getting fixed,because I know that you already know that, but did ever consider letting Tom(OCCD) take a look at it down at the store ?

He's one of the smartest people that I've ever met, so I would be surprised if he wasn't able to figure it out Dale.

Just A Thought.-------BILL

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
Bill,

I certainly have thought about looking into fixing it, but I was a little disgusted that something this expensive is broke already! :'(

Also with all 7 analog, and multiple digital connections, it is just such a pain to remove!  My last Universal (pioneer) quit playing SACDs, so I was happy that that did not happen again.

Been thinking about an OPPO bluray universal, but have been afraid that the sound would not match the Denon.  Now I see they are making an SE version for 400 more that upgrades the analog section.  Buying this would free up my Denon, and it would have to do CD in any of my other systems.

My B&K doesnt do HDMI or advanced audio codecs, and thought that the extra money for the upgraded oppo could save me from upgrading my AVR (B&K has yet to offer HDMI upgrade despite their original promises).
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
My SDA's

Ok ! Now I'm Really Jealous Dale......Why Did You Have To Show Those SDA's To Me ????? :'(-------BILL
Bill,  You can't have ALL the SDA's
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

BB3

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
My SDA's

Ok ! Now I'm Really Jealous Dale......Why Did You Have To Show Those SDA's To Me ????? :'(-------BILL
Bill,  You can't have ALL the SDA's
WHY NOT ?(like a baby throwing temper tantrum) :'( :'( :'(----hahahaha----BILL

BB3

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »
I hear you Dale. The thing is though that Denon of yours is definitely worth fixing, it still demands a pretty good buck out there on the market. Its really a serious piece of equipment, even though it really shouldn't be having those issues.

As far as that OPPO goes.....I've read very good, if not great things about it. Seriously, how could any of us go wrong with having that piece in our stable of audio gear ?

My only question is, would I want it before the notch below top of line new Denon ????----

----BILL

Offline desperado915

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »
Nice speakers! I used to have some Kappa 7's that I bought in Germany in the eighties. I still kick myself in the ass for selling them years later. Those SDA's are impressive, too. On a good note, I do have a nice pair of Polk Monitor 7's that I really like. Not SDA's, but a nice little monitor nevertheless.

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »
That's one hell of a collection Dale.   :o

Do me a favor and compare the SDA sound to the sound of the kappa series for me.  I've heard several SDAs (and own a pair) but I've never heard the Infinity Kappas, and I've always wondered just how good they are.

Oh and document away... I could sit here and look at photos of other people's gear all day!

~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As