Author Topic: My Magnum Dynalab ST-2 Antenna Order  (Read 5541 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
My Magnum Dynalab ST-2 Antenna Order
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
Whats going on,

I had a little mishap occur during my purchase of a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 whip antenna and though I'd document here it as it unfolds.  Eventually this thread will (hopefully) turn into a review of the product.

---On April 4th I purchased the ST-2 online from Audible Elegance in Cincinnati OH, they are an authorized dealer.  I paid full retail + Ship for the unit.  I think it arrived about a week and a half later to my family member's home, as my apt isn't safe enough to have packages delivered too.  So I get it, unbox it, and notice it in not the Magnum Dynalab, but instead a very similar antenna by Metz communication.  Instant bummer.  Here are some differences between the units

MD ST-2 - $114.00 - Comes with 25 Ft. cable
Metz whip - $48.99 - No cable, comes with rubberized protector at base of whip

*Note, since the retail of the Metz is so much cheaper, and is also less sought after in the audio world, It hurts me in terms of resale, because it would be worth less and less sought after.  Even through the metz may or may not be the same exact thing as the MD without with an MD sticker and cable.

So I call audible elegance and inform them of the mistake, and the representative informed me that Metz manufactures the ST-2 for MD and is simply a re-branded version.  Now from the exterior of the unit I would totally believe this, but I have not taken it apart to see if the insides are the same as well.  Anyway, He puts me in touch with MD.  The Rep from MD apologizes for the mixup and informs me they are willing to make it right.  He also asks me if I could take some pics of the unit I received to "see what they will do from here".    I borrowed a friends digital camera and got the pics, but my friend forgot to include the cable to I am on hold until I can get those pics to the MD rep. 

Ideally I would like an MD branded ST-2 Whip antenna with cable, as I ordered and paid for. 

For a little more hassle/effort I am also thinking about just returning it, buying the Metz for less than half the price, and getting the needed cable from radio shack. 

I will update the thread as this unfolds. 

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: My Magnum Dynalab ST-2 Antenna Order
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
I suggest Fanfare Fm.  No BS.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Spin

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
It's completely understandable that you would expect and want, exactly what you paid for-nothing wrong with that, because I'm the same way.
Though your story is interesting because you were given the actual manufacturer's brand and as you noted, is a lot less expensive at that. I checked their website and looked over the specifications of their antenna. Wanted to compare it Magnum Dynalabs ST-2 but really could not find it?
Maybe to make things clear or to have peace of mind rather, next time you speak with the manufacturer's rep why not ask him "IF" there are any major differences between their brand made attenna and the one they provide for Magnum Dynalab? Other than the fact that they each have different labels and that one comes with a coxial cable and the other doesn't?

I'll follow this thread/post, because now I'm just as curious.

You see, I have an a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna (have for a few years now, purchased it new for $75 bucks from an audio retailer going out of business  http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm) which I have mounted at the highest point outside on my house roof. It is connected to a Magnum Dynalab MD 205 Signal Sleuth (http://www.magnumdynalab.com/md205.htm) which is then connected along to my Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner (http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmtuner-ft101a.htm).
Never have had any problems, works great, brings in stations and I am very pleased with the results.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/x_revst2sleuth.htm

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to update the thread.  The rep from Magnum Dynalab is going to send me a replacement Magnum Dynalab version + 25ft cable.   They are going to essentially clear everything up.  Not too sure what they want me to do with this Metz version I was sent, they never said anything about that.  But as soon as I receive the MD I will hook it up and do a review.

Dicky

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
I am the authorized collector for incorrect Metz antenna orders.  Just drop it off at my place so that I can see to it that, uh, it gets returned to the prober distribution center. 

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
UPDATE:

So the guys at MD took care of me.   They said they were going to ship me a new one, I waited a week or two, and nothing came.  I contacted the rep i was dealing with and he expedited the replacement and I got it 3 days later.  COOL!   So the new Magnum Dynalab branded ST-2 arrived at my place last week.  I hooked it up and it did indeed improve my signal.  It is not super extreme like you will receive every station 100% but it is definitely an improvement over my old antenna.  Note:  I only have used it indoor at 1st story level.  I am excited to get it up on the roof and see what she can do.  Every review I read keep saying you need to have it mounted on your roof for best results.

I will post a better review once I have it mounted properly.  I just need a drill, and some screws that go into concrete and I will be set.

Also.. I still have the Metz branded antenna with little to no use for it .  I can throw it on CL but first if any of you guys would be interested in it please let me know.  I am willing to take trades/cash/records/CDs/Cassettes/service/whatever!   Not looking to make money just wanna pass it along to someone cool who can put it to use.  Lemme know, and as I said once it is mounted on the roof Ill update the thread

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:16:29 AM »
You definitely have to mount it outside as high up as you can. I used the ST-2 at my old house years ago, amazing results. I still have it, but don't use it anymore.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."