Author Topic: Assistance Requested: Teac A-4010s  (Read 2224 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Assistance Requested: Teac A-4010s
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
I have lubed this old deck up on all the right ports.  It is auto-reverse.  Replaced the capstan belt and that works fine.   

My problem:  Testing before reassembling it all up:  I press play the capstan engages pinch roller, source reel motor moves,  take up reel motor nothing.  Press play in the opposite direction and the inverse happens. The take up reel motor is not getting the signal to move.  Any hints?   Some relay I should check?

Any - any - help appreciated.

Thanks,

Pepe

PS - brain is a bit fried after a week of work

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Assistance Requested: Teac A-4010s
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
Send an email to Ken at his website:  http://tapepath.com/tapepath/Welcome.html

He is a Revox expert but is extremely knowledgeable about all tape decks.  I had him do a couple upgrades to my Teac several years ago.
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Wish I could help.   I know almost nothing about what goes on inside a tape deck.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 03:33:20 AM »
Send an email to Ken at his website:  http://tapepath.com/tapepath/Welcome.html

He is a Revox expert but is extremely knowledgeable about all tape decks.  I had him do a couple upgrades to my Teac several years ago.

I'll second Carl's suggestion. I know Ken, have seen/heard his work, it's top notch.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 03:59:27 AM »
Pepe,

Is the source side motor actually moving, or is it just the brake being released allowing the motor to freewheel? 

I suspect bad motor caps for the take up function (both motors).  I do not know this model deck, but do know some R2R machines use a two step voltage approach and sometimes the caps driving the higher voltage go bad, while the caps for the lower voltage still work (enough to allow supply, but not take up).

MG
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
Thanks all. Will try contacting Ken,  but the behavior is very similar to what Macgeek describe.  Brake releases, the supply side starts to move but take up does not.  Will check the motor caps as well.