Author Topic: Spray foam  (Read 1517 times)

NATOE

Spray foam
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
After I put my 3 phase service in and the cap bank on line WOW you wouldn't believe  the sound diff just from that. A good friend of mine is a double E and we designed my audio room with a lot taken into account for insulation the walls are framed with 2x12's and spray foamed the whole way with closed cell foam. With that being said and not to give some of my building ideas away that was some of the best money spent other than my river current cables. And I know I'm the only one on here with 1 foot thick walls. Just to give an idea of what's into electric and construction is well over 20 g's. Still out to improve to get the best sound.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Spray foam
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
Congrats on your room improvements!  Did you design your room using the Cardas calculator or other acoustic design methods for room dimensions?

Also, they have a special acoustic dry wall board that I've read about.  Did you consider using this kind of material?

Carl

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:40 PM »
How about some pictures?   ;D  ;D
Carl

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
That sounds awesome!
I plan on spending the weekend installing gold chassis screws on my pre, because I think they will make quite an improvement in the overall sound.
Nothing compared to what you've done though.
Could you PM me so we could compare notes? I'd be interested in the sound transmission coefficient rating of the wall assembly, also the sound pressure level inside the envelope as compared to outside.

Signed - Please hurry, weekends are short!
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
My main HT system is in a room addition that was built using SIPS construction for the ceiling and floor.... SIPS= closed cell foam sandwiched under very high pressure (usually) between steel and 1 1/2" outdoor grade chip board. It's not two feet thick, but the roof and floor are 14" of structural foam....You can literally sit a truck across one of the 4 x 12 sections. I think the thermal rating is 48  Its a very quiet room. ..... inspite of the 3 window walls. You hear very little sound outside when cranking the music.... lol  which I never do lol nor from neighbors mowing lawns etc.  The only issue we have is hail or very heavy rain on the metal roof we installed over that room.... that gets very loud, which is something I didn't expect....  The rest of the house is stand construction except 6" sidewalls and you can't hear the rain on the metal roof under the rest of the house.

I first ran into SIPS when we used it for floating docks in a marina project I worked on.... these were made using liquid closed cell foam, sandwiched in concrete, under very high pressure. The same type sections are also used as floating bridges and ocean break walls.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...