Author Topic: Any experience withe "acoustically transparent" projection screens?  (Read 5679 times)

OldiesButGoodies

I am about to pull the trigger on one.  I can live with a bit of a roll-off in the highs in exchange for the sound coming straight at me from the screen.  Also doing this so I can optimize the position of the home theater speakers relative to the Carver Amazings.  If anyone on the board has experience with this type of screen I would be interested in your take.  Thinking of going with the Elite brand as my experience so far with their motorized screens has been good (and you cannot beat the price!)

Regards

OBG

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Any experience withe "acoustically transparent" projection screens?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
Is there anyplace in the area where you can actually see and hear one?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
You may want to stop in at Butch's Sound Shack or whatever that place is named. I believe they carry a variety of screens there. I'm not exactly sure if they have an acoustically transparent screen or not though, you may want to call ahead and see.

Audyssey would probably take care of the high-end rolloff for you, I'm guessing it's fairly gradual. You may have better luck over at home theater shack with details, I'm sure someone on there has even measured the roll-off at some point. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/manufactured-screens/

Ps: I just saw the words 'curved acoustically transparent screen' and got excited. I love the look of the curved TVs and the Imax screens are curved as well.

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
Here's some fun measurements. They are done of custom-made screens but you get the idea: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1454505-acoustic-transparency-spandex-truth.html#post_22936923

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
Useful,  thanks.  I have not tried any of the local HT places to see if they carry acoustically transparent screens - will look into that. 

Regards,

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »

Audyssey would probably take care of the high-end rolloff for you, I'm guessing it's fairly gradual.

That was my first thought as well.