Author Topic: Friends Starter System  (Read 2413 times)

SunnyDaze

Friends Starter System
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
My friend Liz came to me and inquired about a system.

After discussing what she wanted in a sound system and her budget, I came up with the following. She collects albums, mostly 45's. She will also be playing straight from her laptop into the receiver. It'll be a massive upgrade over her little desktop PC speakers. I'm taking it over Tuesday evening. I can't wait to see her reaction!

Kenwood KR-V8070 receiver. This was given to me, so I am giving it to Liz. I had to post a photo (below) of the inside of this monster. I didn't believe what I saw when I took the cover off. It's 120 + 120 RMS in stereo. She won't be using it for HT, she's a two channel lass.  >:D

Pepe and I purchased a set of Technics 1200 MKII's from a guy a while back. As far as I knew, it needed new RCA terminals and a pop up lamp bulb. Upon disassembling the TT, I found the inside to be a filthy mess. The pitch fader had two zero points and was barely movable, the pop up lamp stopper was missing causing the pop up lamp wires to be severed, the pitch fader LED was inoperable, and there was a general conglomeration of dust bunnies and yinzer grime. I disassembled the unit and did all necessary repairs. The dust cover ain't pretty, but, I did hit it with Meguiars PlastX.

Lastly, I purchased a set of Nova 8's a while ago off of the semi-infamous "Kamran" out in Moon. One tweeter was blown and all caps were shot. A tweeter was acquired through bmwr75 (thanks, Scott!) and all caps were replaced with Dayton crossover caps. I won't go into details because there are a swell of Nova 8 restore / recap threads on AK and other sites. The end result is fantastic. If my dad didn't have a set (with original receipt) I would not be selling these.

Below are two links that show videos of the system and a picture of the Kenwood receiver sans top. Anyone wanna play name that tune?  :)

Video 1: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/rock412dnb/media/Public/21298D64-F1C2-499D-829B-22AC0E05ADC4_zpshsv0noah.mp4.html

Video 2: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/rock412dnb/media/Public/A0ED3017-9CA9-4AF8-BF89-7EBD4B2AB925_zpstewgtxsz.mp4.html

Topless Kenwood Receiver:

SunnyDaze

Re: Friends Starter System
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »
I should note that PhotoBucket seriously mangles audio. They sound much better than this video leads on.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
I should note that PhotoBucket seriously mangles audio. They sound much better than this video leads on.

I never understood the notion of using cameraphone video as some sort of gauge of an audio system's quality anyway.   I certainly would never make an aural judgment based on a YouTube.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
Yeah. That was probably redundant.  :(|)

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
Nice lil' system, Elijah, I hope she enjoys it!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Resident

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
You do know that will start poor lil Liz on a path she soon wont recover from.  When that time comes remember you made her the addict she will soon become.   >:D
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
Very nice!

A topless Kenwood!  Shame on you!