Author Topic: Bi-wiring the TFM-15CB  (Read 4713 times)

Offline LGLDSR73

• Double Secret Probation!
    • LymanD.Com
Bi-wiring the TFM-15CB
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:17 AM »
Can the Carver TFM-15CB be bi-wired?

Thanks....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:04:14 AM by OCCD »
---
Lyman

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Bi-wiring the TFM-15CB
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
There are several ways to Bi-wire. The Carver TFM-15CB is a very versatile, unsung amplifier.  You can use a pair of these amps in three ways. Vertical bi-wire each speaker. One channel for the high end, one channel for the low end. Common bi-wire, where you use one amp for the high end of each speaker and one amp for the low end. You can adjust the output with this amp so it is easy to dial in the sound you are looking for. The third option is to run the 15CB's on mono ( 280w 8 ohms) and run a set of cables that will split from two wires at the amp to four wires at the speakers( MIT Shotguns are a very good inexpensive choice) The 15CB can also daisy chain the the signal for each channel. ( not to be used with Polk SDA series speakers)  What speakers are you using?
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply, much apprecited. These speakers in the basement are just Cambridge Soundworks M-80's, but can be bi-wired. The Klipsch Palladium P-39F are upstairs.

Thanks again.
---
Lyman

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks Tom. A couple of questions with respect to bi-amping in that I will be buying a second TFM-15CB from you.

Per the attached TFM-15CB addendum:

Line item 1:

(a) Connect the speaker wires to which Amp, one or two?
(b) What about the negative connection? No reference is made to connections to the black terminal.

Line Item 2, "For Stereo Operation":

(a) What is the power output in a bi-amp configuration with the TFM-15CB?
(b) Are the speaker wires connected the same as it Line Item 1? No reference is made to connecting the speaker wires...

Lastly, given the addendum why would MIT Shotguns be required at all?

Lyman

There are several ways to Bi-wire. The Carver TFM-15CB is a very versatile, unsung amplifier.  You can use a pair of these amps in three ways. Vertical bi-wire each speaker. One channel for the high end, one channel for the low end. Common bi-wire, where you use one amp for the high end of each speaker and one amp for the low end. You can adjust the output with this amp so it is easy to dial in the sound you are looking for. The third option is to run the 15CB's on mono ( 280w 8 ohms) and run a set of cables that will split from two wires at the amp to four wires at the speakers( MIT Shotguns are a very good inexpensive choice) The 15CB can also daisy chain the the signal for each channel. ( not to be used with Polk SDA series speakers)  What speakers are you using?
---
Lyman

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
Thought I would put my 2 cents in. ;D

You can biwire with any amp.  Remove the jumper at the speakers, and connect 2 cables/channel at the amp and 1 to each speaker connection.  I never saw much value to this, though Vanersteen recommends at least that for his 2ce speakers.  Vandersteen also recommends using the vertical biamp configuration, and specifically recommends not to use the common config.

Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline LGLDSR73

• LymanD.Com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
Thanks! Your .02 is more than welcome!   :)

What about bi-amping? I want to bi-amp two TFM-15CB's when the time comes and Tom had mentioned the need for MIT Shotguns, yet the Carver addendum (in my second post with the attachment) seems to state differently. How is that accomplished in light of that Carver addendum which seems thin on information. Vis-a-vis, nothing is mentioned about where to connect the negative, which of the two amps are used to connect the speakers to, etc...

Sorry to be so thick-headed but it's been many many years since I've done any of the above.

Thanks,

Lyman

Thought I would put my 2 cents in. ;D

You can biwire with any amp.  Remove the jumper at the speakers, and connect 2 cables/channel at the amp and 1 to each speaker connection.  I never saw much value to this, though Vanersteen recommends at least that for his 2ce speakers.  Vandersteen also recommends using the vertical biamp configuration, and specifically recommends not to use the common config.

---
Lyman

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »
I should let Tom answer this, but I will do my best. 

Vertical Biamp

-preamp left to left and right amp inputs-1 amp spkr connection to woofer, 1 to tweeter- do the same to right

Common
- preamp L/R to L/R on each amp- both L channels to 1 speaker 1-base, 1 to highs- do the same to right

Try using any quality speaker wire.  The MIT cable is for BI-wire not Bi-amp.

You will need y connectors if your preamp does not have 2 outputs.

Hope this makes sense!
Dale

-Still Smoking!-