Author Topic: Pioneer RT-707 Restore  (Read 4218 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Pioneer RT-707 Restore
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
I just finished cleaning up, lubing and adjusting this deck for a fellow forum member (not a tru "full restore" as I did not recap everything).  It is the most "minty" 707 I have run across so far (I have worked on 7 of this) - clean inside and out.  Azimuth was off by a fraction of a smidge.  The wood cabinet needed work but it was all repaired.  Thank you Brasso and metal polish for helping makes things shine. I am motivated to do this work on mine as well. Sound is typical 707 - on the right tape the bass is amazing.

Added custom sunk-in hex nuts in the back,  the deck came without them. 

OBG

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
Re: Pioneer RT-707 Restore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
@OBG,

I have a very minty one that needs some TLC and a check up, any possibility you could work on mine?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
@OBG,

I have a very minty one that needs some TLC and a check up, any possibility you could work on mine?

Vstark:

I am busy this weekend on an Akai Pro1000 and a Teac C-1,  after that I can look at your for sure.  I am popping by the store tomorrow evening around 6,  if you want to drop it off there and I will pick it up.  Please leav a note with the symptoms.   

Regards,

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »
Lovely.   At some point I'm going to find the time to take you up on your offer to come over with my Akai and have you educate me.   So many projects, so little time.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:19:51 AM »
Beautiful
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:24:58 AM »
Very nice Pepe!  I always admire your love for all things tape.  You enjoy these machines and the music with such passion. 
I would like to get a wood case for my 707.  Are these available or are they all custom built? 

My tape counter belt has also failed.  I replaced it once.  Mine is clean and fully operational.  Have not checked the calibration, or head adjustment etc.

Regards,

Carl

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »
The silver face are very common.  Have you ever had a black face?

Here is a black 909, very rare!

Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
I am drooling over them all
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
@OBG,

Thanks!!! I appreciate your offer to help however I can not make it to the shop tonight. I'll PM you and we can hopefully figure something out for a later time as I'm in no rush.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
I have only seen black 707s in the web and in some old TV shows.  If I run into one I may need to break my promise to myself not to buy any more RTRs. The wood case had water and paint stains,  I sanded it with 500 and 1000 grit sand paper and applied Minwax oak rubbing oil,  3 coats - that worked better than I imagined it wood (next time I will use the sanding block exclusively, the orbital sander is faster but leaves marks if you look carefully).  Love this hobby.