Author Topic: Popping sound when turning on tape deck  (Read 2143 times)

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
Popping sound when turning on tape deck
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »
Okay, I give up  ???  I went ahead and pulled my main system apart to give it a revamped look, and to tear it down and clean it up.  (I try to keep on top of the dust and such, but it was time to give a thorough douching!!  I reset it up, and notice I was experiencing drop off on the left channel occasionally, and if I were to just put a finger on my preamp - it would come back without hesitation.  Long story short, the RCA cover on my Main 1 inputs on the C-16 had come loose, to the point I pretty much could pull it off with my fingers.  So -- I took preamp out of line up tonight and removed the cover.  Put the RCA covers on so they won't come off again (just had to open the prongs on the RCA sleeve a little bit and give them a good push onto the jack.  They are solid now.  I notice that my CD RCA had a issue, so I resolved that.  Put everything back together, and proceeded to make sure all is hooked up okay.  Now, when I turn on my tape deck, I get a loud pop through my speakers.  This occurs all the time, whether the RCA's are plugged into the C-16 and even when I have the tape deck plugged directly into the wall, bypassing my Powervar unit.  (I know - sacralidge!!)  Anyway, is this possible a grounding issue (I am leaning this way), but not sure what changed and why??  Any thoughts and ideas to islolate the issue would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Neil
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline ataudio

Re: Popping sound when turning on tape deck
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »
Did this just start?  Sounds like your tape deck power supply is throwing spikes out on you line.

Try putting a suppression cap across the power switch.  This worked on an old JBL amp I had.  You could try to " reverse " the power cord too...old  trick from years past.  If the power cord prongs are polarized you can try a "cheater plug".  I doubt this is your issue tho.

And try not to power on any other component once your power amp is turned on.  Not all gear has graceful, soft start , power on/off
characteristics

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »
Yes, it just started.  I'll see if I can reverse the plug, but not sure why it started.  I haven't tried to hook it up through Tape 2 inputs/outputs, to rule out something going on with the Tape 1 ins and outs.  May start there, but I do believe it has something to do with ground or power switch.  Specifically since it did it when I had no RCA's connected at all.  Not sure why it started.  All I know it I reset the outer RCA sleeves on the MAIN 1 output and now I have this issue.  None of the other components do this, i.e. tuner, cd player. The other option is to plug it into a different circuit completely and see if that makes a difference.  All I know is preamp output sounds really good now that I reset the RCA jacks.   
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
If there were no RCAs connected, is it popping through the speakers?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
My guess is that it's in the Carter gear.  Pre-amp or amplifier.  There should be a "soft start" circuit in the amp. 
Carl

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
If there were no RCAs connected, is it popping through the speakers?

Yes, it popped through the speakers without any RCA's connected.  That is why I am thinking it is something with the amp or preamp.  Or a grounding issue.